Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
VIP were a very early manufacturer of slot cars and predated Scalextric. Malcolm Parker had a nearly complete collection of their stuff and wrote a comprehensive history of the firm. He disappeared long ago after selling his collection to
Phil Smith but the history is preserved on Phil's server. You won't find it on his website but here is a
LINK if you would like to check it out.
(This post was last modified: 16th-Sep-20, 08:13 AM by
CMOTD.)
Posts: 54
Threads: 12
Likes Received: 28 in 18 posts
Likes Given: 22
Joined: Sep 2020
Location Settle Nth Yorks England
This is a great article ,very informative .
•
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Cheers Brian, have seen this before but had forgotten that Fred Francis got involved. Sadly the Photo-gallery links are dead and a check in the WayBack Machine reveals that Phil must have added that as it is not on Malcolm's original site (
WayBack Linky)
I guess that Phil subsequently deleted his stock images without realising the impact on the VIP history that he had carefully preserved.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
I have asked Phil if it is possible to reinstate them.
Posts: 44
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 54 in 22 posts
Likes Given: 39
Joined: Apr 2019
•
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
That is the same link I put up in the opening post but the photo gallery links on the last page were broken.
However, Phil has now repaired it.
LINK
(This post was last modified: 16th-Sep-20, 03:23 PM by
CMOTD.)
Posts: 44
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 54 in 22 posts
Likes Given: 39
Joined: Apr 2019
Ah, sorry about that & thanks to Phil.
•
Posts: 388
Threads: 43
Likes Received: 957 in 299 posts
Likes Given: 1
Joined: Aug 2019
Location Toronto, Canada
My first slot car set was a VIP set, bought by my father at the London Toy show in 1961,.......and brought back to Toronto for Xmas that year.......no happier 5 year old in the world !!!
I still have the original cars, (59 years later) ....they have had a few replacement bits over the years, and have the original "double pin guides" replaced by their blade guides........they still run great
Cheers
Chris Walker
PS I do have a few VIP bits that I will never use, if anyone is in need.
The Cooper...........
And a miracle "Straightnose Sharknose" 156............
(This post was last modified: 24th-Sep-20, 04:26 PM by
chrisguyw.)
Posts: 2,053
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,409 in 1,388 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Chris. That's really amazing that you still have everything!
My dad bought me a 12-volt Strombecker set in 1970, and I eventually destroyed it. I wore the tires down soooo bald. I eventually bought Strombecker brand foam slicks and aluminum wheels. That sent the cars into the wall with extreme velocity, and they broke. Once I discovered ladies... slot cars? what slot cars?
•
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Its a shame that the Ferraris tend to warp, I think the proportions are a pretty realistic rendition of the delicateness of those cars.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•