Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Photo-to-3D
#11

See I look at it this way, while I appreciate scratch building in it's entirety, you do not see manufacturers scratch building every car.
In the hobby format this can be transferred by thinking that you would like a whole heap of vehicles not available on the market but don't want to scratch build every one.
3D printing speed up the process and can aid in prototyping parts before, carve - mold - cast, and can even replace that process.

Modernisation has always been and always will be.

From stone wheels to alloy rims.
[Image: 026-The-Wheel-of-Time-Timeline-of-the-Ev...lennia.jpg]
From solid tyres to pneumatic tyres, tubed to tubeless, radials to compound
[Image: evolution-of-car-tyres-03-016386.webp]


from matches to butane lighters, from dynamite to nuclear holocaust, actually forget that last one.

You get the idea.

Everyone has different talents, with me I can make stuff like landscaping items, routed tracks and tables etc.
But I do not have the patience to spend many hours whittling away or making a brass chassis, although I do admire those that do. My soldering skills lack as well, good enough to solder wires but not anything heavier I'm afraid.

For me personally, and as an engineer, I enjoy the design process more so that the whittling process.
I'm actually not that keen on racing either to tell you the truth. I enjoy time trial racing and proxy racing more than multi car racing.

My enjoyment is trying to optimise a design for greatest efficiency and purpose, that is my role in life, a 3D printer helps with that, so I would rather have a body given to me in a file and then modify that to add body posts and other mods such as spoilers and flares.

To me the chassis, rims, tyres are the engineering key, the body is beauty only.
So gimme the easy way out on that side any day.

This is why forums are so great as it allows those who have zero interest in one facet connect with someone who thoroughly enjoys said facet and a possible trade in knowledge and/or materials happen.

Slot-on dudes & be excellent to each other.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic1.srcdn.com%2Fwor...85bb7a125d]

Cheers Grant

2025 - Mad Man Motoring (Triple M) Proxy - 1:32 & 1:43
Search here under Proxy Racing
[+] 5 members Like ZeGas's post
Quote
#12

(26th-Nov-25, 10:27 PM)Kevan Wrote:  Hi Grant.

Chitu has a hollowing feature, you set the wall thickness but it only works on solid objects.

I used Netfabb to hollow this file, I think it's included in Chitu

It is in the pro version, I have bit the bullet and purchased.

(30th-Nov-25, 08:13 AM)DPJ Wrote:  
(26th-Nov-25, 10:01 PM)ZeGas Wrote:  ...
Blender purely to convert STL to DXF and back again
and AutoCad for mods.
On bodies I keep running out of memory and crashing in AutoCad as it only uses a single core processor.
But I persist.

What version of AutoCAD are you using?
You can send me the file if you want a more powerful computer to churn out your file...

Send me a PM if you're interested and we can have a chat about it.
Problem is not computer, it is AutoCAD not having multi thread capability.
I have worked on autocad since its inception so can't be bothered learning new software, that curse of getting older I guess.
Thanks for the offer though.
I do have my work arounds.

Cheers Grant

2025 - Mad Man Motoring (Triple M) Proxy - 1:32 & 1:43
Search here under Proxy Racing
Quote
#13

(30th-Nov-25, 11:23 PM)ZeGas Wrote:  
(30th-Nov-25, 08:13 AM)DPJ Wrote:  What version of AutoCAD are you using?
You can send me the file if you want a more powerful computer to churn out your file...

Send me a PM if you're interested and we can have a chat about it.
Problem is not computer, it is AutoCAD not having multi thread capability.
I have worked on autocad since its inception so can't be bothered learning new software, that curse of getting older I guess.
Thanks for the offer though.
I do have my work arounds.

No worries! Sounds like you have some years on me... but I too have been using AutoCAD since DOS, and used it professionally from 98 to 2014. I use Fusion mostly now to make stuff I can't buy.

What work-arounds are those?
Quote
#14

copy/paste small areas at a time into separate drawing, work on that area then paste only mods back into main project drawing.

Cheers Grant

2025 - Mad Man Motoring (Triple M) Proxy - 1:32 & 1:43
Search here under Proxy Racing
[+] 1 member Likes ZeGas's post
Quote
#15

This was printed yesterday - it holds my Gaahleri AirHub Pro - the T bar will hold 4 gauges, one for each adjustable output so I can see what the pressure is. Modeling those holders now

       
Quote
#16

So the stone wheel hasn't been invented yet.... it's currently 2025AD so only another 1475 years to wait  Bigsmile

   

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post
Quote
#17

There are some really cool tools out there.

I made the engineer for my model railroad

   
[+] 2 members Like GT40Racer's post
Quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)