Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Blind astonishment
#11

What's your life insurance policy like?
Just kidding... :-D
Congratulations!
Seriously though I know of quite a few people who give a couple a card on their wedding day:
If you are still married after a year I will send you X present.

Frankly I think part of the problem is some of the "traditions" around marriage that have crept in on Western culture.
Things like the rule that "an engagement ring has to cost 1 (or 2 or 3) month's' wages"

What a crock of frog pooh...

Or at weddings themselves: the whole nonsense with you need so many bride's maids and so many bridegrooms and the dress has to cost this and that and all that crap...

It doesn't really show your love or your commitment. It just shows you will start a relationship in more debt than you thought.

But seriously, 17 years is a great achievement and I really do wish you all the best!
Quote
#12

Thank you.

I'm now 72 so it was a fairly late marriage by most standards. We weren't going to have a reception or anything that smacked of excess but Ronnie's sister, a stout traditionalist, just put the whole thing on and dared us not to turn up!

I always find it amazing how much the whole wedding scene is expected to cost. Far better spent on somewhere to live. If it all goes wrong - as inevitably quite a few do - it really has been money down the drain.

Just remembered that I found some invites in a drawer the other day. This is what we sent out!

   
[+] 3 members Like Gordon Steadman's post
Quote
#13

(9th-May-19, 08:30 AM)abie321 Wrote:  Banofee pie - oh dear lord Bigsmile Bigsmile Bigsmile

Ohhhh yessssssss Cake

The restaurant only opens for pizza during the week so we had to wait until last evening to have a proper meal.

In the words of Gerard Hoffnung, we were well fed up and properly drunk. Ronnie doesn't do puddings so I got a larger than usual portion of pie.

Three days abstention from food now required! I like seeing myself in the shower.
Quote
#14

AHH ,The Bricklayers Lament ,very funny . Glad you both enjoyed the meal  Wrench

Steve
Quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)