Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Food for thought?
#4

Growing up on the Thames estuary, I also have a love of seafood - although nothing caught further upstream than the North Sea.

My tastes are certainly on the cheaper end of the market - whelks, cockles, mussels... and especially eels. A nicely-dressed crab is a treat. During lockdown, I've developed a bit of an addiction to crab sticks - although the Trades Description Act means no-one can use that name anymore, as the crab content rarely rises above 0%. What are euphemistically called 'Ocean Sticks' are plentiful, safe and - if prepared with a half-decent mayo & ketchup sauce - do the job until I can access my regular supply.

Preparation is key. On the lower end of the market it's the freshness and respect for the product that counts, plus the understanding of simple dressings, very basic cooking techniques etc. It's also what you know. As I go up the food chain, I get a bit out of my depth. I can eat a crab, but I wouldn't be entirely comfortable cooking or dressing one. I've only ever eaten lobster twice - each time was a disappointment. I thought it was going to be a life-changing experience and it wasn't. The first time was getting one of those small frozen lobsters from a supermarket. It wasn't nice. The other was paying an arm and a leg in a moderately posh restaurant for a tiny bit of tasteless lobster sitting on top of a bowl of pasta. I'd have enjoyed a good plate of dogfish & chips more. I probably ought to try top-notch lobster somewhere like Maine, cooked by someone who really knows what they are doing - but I might still have too high expectations to fully appreciate it.

I guess I am more comfortable - and ultimately happier - sticking with what I know I enjoy. But am I missing out? Are people looking down their noses at my simple tastes? Do I care?
Quote


Messages In This Thread
Food for thought? - by CMOTD - 4th-Jul-20, 01:37 PM
RE: Food for thought? - by Anthony B - 4th-Jul-20, 02:21 PM
RE: Food for thought? - by Gordon Steadman - 4th-Jul-20, 04:20 PM
RE: Food for thought? - by woodcote - 5th-Jul-20, 08:45 AM
RE: Food for thought? - by Scuderia_Turini - 5th-Jul-20, 12:27 PM
RE: Food for thought? - by autoavia - 5th-Jul-20, 12:46 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)