31st-Dec-19, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone, and the heads up with Lloyd, I'll be sure to ask questions, and I'll try to answer some of the queries.
In my research I found the BSCRA content by Chris Frost on track building which helped to solidify some of the other knowledge I had already gleaned from videos and on other web sites. I decided to build as I am a handy person and had every tool required except the router. My mate who reignited the passion is also a carpenter so I have resource to draw on with both knowledge and additional tools if required.
Trolling through all the content here I also found the track designs so downloaded them all so I could look at every track to find one that would be interesting to drive, and would fill a lot of a board in rectangular format. I narrowed it down to Sebring and Snetterton. Sebring was a bit too squarish, so decided on Snetterton. Then I did my research comparing the track plans from here to the satellite images to see if there were any variations and the track plan was quite true to the image. Then the bonus came, its close to Norwich. Norwich and Burgh Castle are where my family ancestral links are going back to middle ages and it was my fortune to go there there on my recent overseas holiday. Had I known then I was going to build a Snetterton replica I would have passed by out of curiosity. So I guess to answer JasonB, if the satellite image is the modern layout, that is the version I will be attempting to replicate.
The other attractive feature of Snetterton is that I am going for a folding track on three 1800mm X 1200mm boards hinged on the 1200mm length. This will allow me to fold the boards up into a triangle to move it without disassembly. It will be resident on the pool table most of the time, but I would also like to be able to transport it and a triangle is strong and will also protect the scenery. On this note, almost all of the Snetterton buildings can be built on the middle board so when folded should not be affected by the folded over outside panels containing any raised content.
However I realise that as per my first post, you need to crawl before walking, and on seeing some of the fantastic rally tracks decided a rally track would be a good way to hone my track building skills, and develop my jigs that I will need. On this note, this thread from Steve Ogilvie is brilliant for information.
Assuming that I am successful in building the two above tracks, I do want to build another track, an Australian one, Lakeside Park, it is local to me, I have raced bicycles and at one time owned a Group C race car which I drove on it. I realised though that one weekend of motor racing equals a lot of any other hobby costs, so gave up motor racing. In fact one weekend of motor racing would buy everything I need to build and finish my Snetterton track.
Thanks for reading.
Sean
In my research I found the BSCRA content by Chris Frost on track building which helped to solidify some of the other knowledge I had already gleaned from videos and on other web sites. I decided to build as I am a handy person and had every tool required except the router. My mate who reignited the passion is also a carpenter so I have resource to draw on with both knowledge and additional tools if required.
Trolling through all the content here I also found the track designs so downloaded them all so I could look at every track to find one that would be interesting to drive, and would fill a lot of a board in rectangular format. I narrowed it down to Sebring and Snetterton. Sebring was a bit too squarish, so decided on Snetterton. Then I did my research comparing the track plans from here to the satellite images to see if there were any variations and the track plan was quite true to the image. Then the bonus came, its close to Norwich. Norwich and Burgh Castle are where my family ancestral links are going back to middle ages and it was my fortune to go there there on my recent overseas holiday. Had I known then I was going to build a Snetterton replica I would have passed by out of curiosity. So I guess to answer JasonB, if the satellite image is the modern layout, that is the version I will be attempting to replicate.
The other attractive feature of Snetterton is that I am going for a folding track on three 1800mm X 1200mm boards hinged on the 1200mm length. This will allow me to fold the boards up into a triangle to move it without disassembly. It will be resident on the pool table most of the time, but I would also like to be able to transport it and a triangle is strong and will also protect the scenery. On this note, almost all of the Snetterton buildings can be built on the middle board so when folded should not be affected by the folded over outside panels containing any raised content.
However I realise that as per my first post, you need to crawl before walking, and on seeing some of the fantastic rally tracks decided a rally track would be a good way to hone my track building skills, and develop my jigs that I will need. On this note, this thread from Steve Ogilvie is brilliant for information.
Assuming that I am successful in building the two above tracks, I do want to build another track, an Australian one, Lakeside Park, it is local to me, I have raced bicycles and at one time owned a Group C race car which I drove on it. I realised though that one weekend of motor racing equals a lot of any other hobby costs, so gave up motor racing. In fact one weekend of motor racing would buy everything I need to build and finish my Snetterton track.
Thanks for reading.
Sean

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)