13th-Dec-19, 09:41 PM
In 1983 we moved to Southeastern Michigan, about a 40 minute drive from Michigan International Speedway.
My father had always been a NASCAR fan and also enjoyed Indy Car.
Up to that point he had been commuting Monday to Friday to Michigan from our home in Ohio, meaning i didn't see him much during the week (he left before I got up on Monday and got home after I was in bed on Friday).
Now even back then the cost of the race was too high for us. I think it was 50 USD$ which is almost 130 USD$ today.
However the regional restaurant chain "Big Boy" was the caterer of the track so the gave away tickets to practice and qualifying on Friday and Saturday.
Michigan, despite its many lakes is a continental climate so when we headed out at 8 AM it was often in the low 50s F° (10° C) but it would get up to the 80s °F (30s C°) by noon.
I remember walking from the parking lot, nearly frozen teeth chattering and walking up literally hundreds of steps to get a good view of the whole track... sitting on cold aluminum bleachers only to come home after 7 PM with a sun burn!
In any case, you couldn't walk around the paddock but you could get close and with so little going one the drivers were accessible. I have many autographs.
The IROC series were the only races I got to see but I enjoyed them as it was easy to follow and I liked the Z-28 and later Dodge cars.
Most importantly thought I spent all that time with my Dad. Alone.
He put up with my non-stop questions and made often an important statement about this or that driver or how things were going.
In time I leaned more towards Indy car. At the time they raced on alcohol the the Chaparral was king, often doing 200 MPH out of turn 4.
If you saw the car coming it was often too late as they were so fast you didn't have time to cover your ears before they zoomed by only a few yards (meters) away...
Michigan International Speedway is not very close to any major city. If it goes so does the whole region.
My Dad is gone but I remember those times, sitting talking, getting sun burnt.
For me, motorsport is much as a family event as it is entertainment.
I have been lucky enough to drive race cars on tracks in anger and I have so much respect for those guys and gals.
I say every person who wants a driver's license should be taken to some track and ideal get up to 160 or 180 MPH.
I think motorsport would become relevant again...
My father had always been a NASCAR fan and also enjoyed Indy Car.
Up to that point he had been commuting Monday to Friday to Michigan from our home in Ohio, meaning i didn't see him much during the week (he left before I got up on Monday and got home after I was in bed on Friday).
Now even back then the cost of the race was too high for us. I think it was 50 USD$ which is almost 130 USD$ today.
However the regional restaurant chain "Big Boy" was the caterer of the track so the gave away tickets to practice and qualifying on Friday and Saturday.
Michigan, despite its many lakes is a continental climate so when we headed out at 8 AM it was often in the low 50s F° (10° C) but it would get up to the 80s °F (30s C°) by noon.
I remember walking from the parking lot, nearly frozen teeth chattering and walking up literally hundreds of steps to get a good view of the whole track... sitting on cold aluminum bleachers only to come home after 7 PM with a sun burn!
In any case, you couldn't walk around the paddock but you could get close and with so little going one the drivers were accessible. I have many autographs.
The IROC series were the only races I got to see but I enjoyed them as it was easy to follow and I liked the Z-28 and later Dodge cars.
Most importantly thought I spent all that time with my Dad. Alone.
He put up with my non-stop questions and made often an important statement about this or that driver or how things were going.
In time I leaned more towards Indy car. At the time they raced on alcohol the the Chaparral was king, often doing 200 MPH out of turn 4.
If you saw the car coming it was often too late as they were so fast you didn't have time to cover your ears before they zoomed by only a few yards (meters) away...
Michigan International Speedway is not very close to any major city. If it goes so does the whole region.
My Dad is gone but I remember those times, sitting talking, getting sun burnt.
For me, motorsport is much as a family event as it is entertainment.
I have been lucky enough to drive race cars on tracks in anger and I have so much respect for those guys and gals.
I say every person who wants a driver's license should be taken to some track and ideal get up to 160 or 180 MPH.
I think motorsport would become relevant again...

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)