Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Soldering stations - which one?
#1

Now I've got my bench back in use I'm using my soldering iron more but it's just that, a soldering iron with a fixed temperature, fixed tip and a hook that just about fits over the handle on one of the workbench drawers - but frequently ends up on the floor! It's also rather clumsy to use (more likely I'm a clumsy user of it) and doesn't have sufficient reach to get inside things without the danger of melting other things on the way to the target point!

I'd like something a bit safer and more versatile, with a 'parking spot' that minimises the risk of me burning myself, or it dropping on the work surface or floor!. 

I'm a casual and occasional user, not a brass chassis builder so it doesn't need to cost the earth. Currently its main use is for soldering ferrules and motor wires plus heat sealing plastic parts in anything from 1/24 down to HO scale, so I'm looking for interchangeable tips and a longish tip reach as it's too easy to melt HO body parts when trying to heat weld deeper in their bodyshells. 

I have looked at reviews online but they lose me very early on as I don't know what temperature range or wattage I need. One particular make had several virtually identical stations ranging from £30-ish up to £140-ish and all that seemed to vary was those figures - temp/watts/heating time.

Very long winded way to ask but can anyone suggest a reasonably priced compact-ish and versatile soldering work station to suit please?
[+] 1 member Likes Top Down's post
Quote


Messages In This Thread
Soldering stations - which one? - by Top Down - 18th-Dec-25, 01:27 PM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by Kevan - 18th-Dec-25, 02:31 PM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by JMay - 18th-Dec-25, 04:31 PM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by KensRedZed - 18th-Dec-25, 06:50 PM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by DPJ - 18th-Dec-25, 08:21 PM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by Johnno - 18th-Dec-25, 11:07 PM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by Eddie Grice - 19th-Dec-25, 07:48 AM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by Top Down - 19th-Dec-25, 03:48 PM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by Top Down - 19th-Dec-25, 04:05 PM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by chrisguyw - 19th-Dec-25, 07:41 PM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by merkit the grof - 20th-Dec-25, 08:56 AM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by Johnno - 19th-Dec-25, 09:57 PM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by mickey thumbs - 20th-Dec-25, 02:05 AM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by Johnno - 20th-Dec-25, 07:14 AM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by Top Down - 20th-Dec-25, 09:11 AM
RE: Soldering stations - which one? - by mickey thumbs - 21st-Dec-25, 05:07 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)