31st-Jan-24, 08:14 AM
Cutting wheels versus off-theshelf inserts
I have time and no other use for plastic wheels, so I do cut wheels into inserts using the same method as Kev.
Also, an exact size and style match in the right colour is often not available.
The plastic wheels sit in bags in a box of very rarely needed items, factory fit tyres full interiors, etc.
The last set I cut for for a revell shelby cobra daytona. Off the shelf Inserts were not available.
The NSR gt40 Inserts were close but not close enough.
I used exactly the same technique as Kev.
However, often, I'll just stick in whichever inserts I have lying around if compelled to.
My last conversion was an SCX Sunoco Camaro (£20 from a swap meet) and I was going to chop those wheels but Instead used a lovely seat of four STAFFS alloys in metallic red.
Unless rules comply me to, I never fit inserts. Happy to see naked, deep dish alloys on my cars.
However, for DiSCA racing, a realistic wheel face is mandatory so my good buddy Mark Long (LongRoadRacing) designs and 3d prints the inserts for the GasMonkeySRT cars, saving precious grams of rotating mass in the process.
It also allows us to have matching wheel inserts for the various rear wheel sizes we use ( depending of the status of the various moving targets of car tuning for endurance racing)
The idea was born when I raced Disca the LeMans with Alibaba Slot Racing team.
The sister team (the Italian "a" team) "Posilipo" raced and won that year.
By chance , their car shed a wheel insert just at my Marshall post and I had the opportunity to have a good look before handing it back to their chief tech, Claudio.
AlanW
I have time and no other use for plastic wheels, so I do cut wheels into inserts using the same method as Kev.
Also, an exact size and style match in the right colour is often not available.
The plastic wheels sit in bags in a box of very rarely needed items, factory fit tyres full interiors, etc.
The last set I cut for for a revell shelby cobra daytona. Off the shelf Inserts were not available.
The NSR gt40 Inserts were close but not close enough.
I used exactly the same technique as Kev.
However, often, I'll just stick in whichever inserts I have lying around if compelled to.
My last conversion was an SCX Sunoco Camaro (£20 from a swap meet) and I was going to chop those wheels but Instead used a lovely seat of four STAFFS alloys in metallic red.
Unless rules comply me to, I never fit inserts. Happy to see naked, deep dish alloys on my cars.
However, for DiSCA racing, a realistic wheel face is mandatory so my good buddy Mark Long (LongRoadRacing) designs and 3d prints the inserts for the GasMonkeySRT cars, saving precious grams of rotating mass in the process.
It also allows us to have matching wheel inserts for the various rear wheel sizes we use ( depending of the status of the various moving targets of car tuning for endurance racing)
The idea was born when I raced Disca the LeMans with Alibaba Slot Racing team.
The sister team (the Italian "a" team) "Posilipo" raced and won that year.
By chance , their car shed a wheel insert just at my Marshall post and I had the opportunity to have a good look before handing it back to their chief tech, Claudio.
AlanW

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)