31st-Oct-23, 10:05 PM
Hi Gents,
I've been working on the front end which has been a lot of work but learning loads.
I want the axle and wheels to turn with the guide so I was going to try and make a i-beam axle but luckily found a large model truck one made from white metal.
I brought that as it's the same shape as the cars one and proceeded to cut the excess off to shorten it, re-soldered it with low temp solder.
Made the steering bar from brass tube and brass eyelets, the metal parts that hold the wheels are from an old slotcar steering set up.
I have ground parts off these to shape and bent the arms down to fit the brass arm.
I've also tapped the ends so they take a hex head bolt to keep the wheel on.
The guide bit I have copied George Turners idea of what he has on his Edwardian cars, I soldered a brass tube to a flat piece of brass that sits on the guide and soldered a 1mm piece of piano wire to it to attached to the steering rod.
I've added bearings to the wheels which are wheels from a George Turner kit.
I've drilled out the wheel to fit the bearings in snug.
The part I'm on to now is the leaf springs.
I decided to make these completely from scratch out of thin brass.
The little nuts and bolts are from Prime Miniatures, Dominic makes wonderful products.
I cut strips of brass to size and came up with these.
I'm waiting for a tiny tap and die set to come in the post so I can make the u-brackets that will hold the springs to the axle.
Quite pleased how it's coming along and the time flys so fast when I'm out in the shed.
Sorry re overload of pics, thanks for looking.
Tony
I've been working on the front end which has been a lot of work but learning loads.
I want the axle and wheels to turn with the guide so I was going to try and make a i-beam axle but luckily found a large model truck one made from white metal.
I brought that as it's the same shape as the cars one and proceeded to cut the excess off to shorten it, re-soldered it with low temp solder.
Made the steering bar from brass tube and brass eyelets, the metal parts that hold the wheels are from an old slotcar steering set up.
I have ground parts off these to shape and bent the arms down to fit the brass arm.
I've also tapped the ends so they take a hex head bolt to keep the wheel on.
The guide bit I have copied George Turners idea of what he has on his Edwardian cars, I soldered a brass tube to a flat piece of brass that sits on the guide and soldered a 1mm piece of piano wire to it to attached to the steering rod.
I've added bearings to the wheels which are wheels from a George Turner kit.
I've drilled out the wheel to fit the bearings in snug.
The part I'm on to now is the leaf springs.
I decided to make these completely from scratch out of thin brass.
The little nuts and bolts are from Prime Miniatures, Dominic makes wonderful products.
I cut strips of brass to size and came up with these.
I'm waiting for a tiny tap and die set to come in the post so I can make the u-brackets that will hold the springs to the axle.
Quite pleased how it's coming along and the time flys so fast when I'm out in the shed.
Sorry re overload of pics, thanks for looking.
Tony

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)