13th-Aug-19, 03:59 PM
Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:06 PM
Setting Gear mesh and axle play....for Dummies
Sometimes when I re-read my posts I notice that I have omitted some of the basic steps in a described procedure...because...
...well, I assumed they were part of all slotter's basic steps. But that does not always seem to be the case. So...
To finish off my previous post on how to modify a Slot.it SW pod...here's one on an idiot proof way to set a proper gear mesh and axle play.
![[Image: gear_mesh&play.jpg]](http://www.slotracinglemans.com/images/Ford_GTE_LM/gear_mesh&play.jpg)
From left to right:
So there you have it, an idiot proof procedure to set the same and correct amount of axle play and have a perfect gear mesh, any time, every time.
As usual the most simple ideas can be the most ingenious ones, and by adding the axle play tool to the PE spacer set a Slot.it PA47 and/or PA52 is really one of the best buys you can make.
with kind regards
Tamar
Setting Gear mesh and axle play....for Dummies
Sometimes when I re-read my posts I notice that I have omitted some of the basic steps in a described procedure...because...
...well, I assumed they were part of all slotter's basic steps. But that does not always seem to be the case. So...
To finish off my previous post on how to modify a Slot.it SW pod...here's one on an idiot proof way to set a proper gear mesh and axle play.
![[Image: gear_mesh&play.jpg]](http://www.slotracinglemans.com/images/Ford_GTE_LM/gear_mesh&play.jpg)
From left to right:
- With motor, pinion, axle and gear mounted. Insert a piece of paper or a plastic zip bag between the pinion and gear.
- Push the motor tight towards the rear axle/gear and tighten the front motor screw. Not fully, just enough to fix the motor position.
- Remove gear and insert and tighten the rear motor screw (not pictured) and then the front motor screw
- Get your axle play adjuster tool (the H-shaped parts) from the PA47 or PA52 slot.it axle spacer set.
- Remount gear and insert tool between gear and spacer
- Squeeze/press gear tight on axle to eliminate any axle play.
- Tighten gear grubscrew. If you use 2 grub screws tighten one side lightly to fix position of gear, rotate gear 180˚ tighten 2nd grub lightly, rotate gear 180˚ tighten 1st grub more, etc etc.
- Remove axle play tool
So there you have it, an idiot proof procedure to set the same and correct amount of axle play and have a perfect gear mesh, any time, every time.
As usual the most simple ideas can be the most ingenious ones, and by adding the axle play tool to the PE spacer set a Slot.it PA47 and/or PA52 is really one of the best buys you can make.
with kind regards
Tamar

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)