Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Whichwood Quarry
#24

Thank you very kindly.

Designing it in modules which could be dismantled wasn't too difficult, and I really, really enjoyed doing the scenery work. In fact I got kind of addicted to it. But I have to admit that dismantling it, and carting it all upstairs, and then up a rickety set of ladders into the attic was a major operation.

As for how it was made to be taken apart, well, it wasn't that difficult really.

The layout is on the floor, so I didn't have to worry about tables, and probably two thirds of the track is flat, so that was no problem. The fun began with the raised sections and backgrounds

If you look at the wide view you can probably see the three main sections by looking at the background, because I used different techniques as I was going along. All three are a simple cardboard construction, but on the left I used chopped up polystyrene to represent a kind of cliff face look, in the middle it's a mixture of polystyrene for the for the underside of the hill, and papier mache for the background, and on the right I've used printed bricks with another section behind of papier mache, and if memory serves cotton wool greenery, and heather for small trees.

As you can see, I've dropped the background of each section down towards the track level where it meets the next section, so the joins are less noticeable. Then I painted up a big roll of paper with sky, clouds and a hint of distant scenery, and wrapped it around the outside  of the track.

So, most of it was really simple, it used cheap materials, and it was fun.

But I haven't had the track set up in a long while, partly because it's a pain to drag all of it down from the attic, partly because life tends to throw up things that get in the way, but also because I think I might enjoy the process of making a track as much, if not more than the actual racing. So now I'm now enjoying the possibility of making my next track.
[+] 3 members Like JasonB's post
Quote


Messages In This Thread
Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 3rd-Apr-19, 12:59 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by Anthony B - 4th-Apr-19, 07:57 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 4th-Apr-19, 07:53 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by Tibbs - 18th-Feb-22, 08:18 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by rallyhub - 23rd-Apr-19, 11:01 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 23rd-Apr-19, 11:45 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by rallyhub - 30th-Aug-19, 11:15 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 30th-Aug-19, 12:01 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by steveaca - 31st-Aug-19, 05:51 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by Fast Co. - 23rd-Sep-20, 10:46 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 24th-Sep-20, 11:27 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by dreinecke - 25th-Sep-20, 12:02 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 25th-Sep-20, 08:18 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by Scuderia_Turini - 25th-Sep-20, 10:15 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 25th-Sep-20, 11:00 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 23rd-Feb-21, 11:35 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by woodcote - 23rd-Feb-21, 11:43 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by rallyhub - 23rd-Feb-21, 12:21 PM
GT Sprite - by GT Sprite - 23rd-Feb-21, 01:43 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by Scuderia_Turini - 23rd-Feb-21, 02:11 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 23rd-Feb-21, 02:46 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by KensRedZed - 23rd-Feb-21, 06:15 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by Anthony B - 23rd-Feb-21, 06:21 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 19th-Feb-22, 12:26 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by Tibbs - 19th-Feb-22, 10:07 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 19th-Feb-22, 12:41 PM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by Tibbs - 6th-Nov-22, 11:30 AM
RE: Whichwood Quarry - by JasonB - 6th-Nov-22, 12:13 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)