14th-Dec-21, 05:01 PM
That depends. :)
On what tech the model was designed for, and whether you're printing with that tech. The model you show might have been designed for injection molding or maybe SLS printing. With the right resin, you could try SLA. It could be printed with FFF, but some of those things might be weak due to the small cross section, so you'll want to print in a material with excellent layer adhesion.
As for the guide holder, smooth is always good, but with good settings for your printer, a supported surface should be more than smooth enough. That's how I designed the guide holder for the SCX NASCAR chassis I did recently, and guides work quite nicely against that supported surface.
Since you're also into modeling, you might consider using that file as a template and make your preferred changes to it.
As far as the implied question of "free versus paid", I judge on the model, not if it was free or paid. I've seen plenty of crap that people charge for, and plenty of wonderful things that are free.
On what tech the model was designed for, and whether you're printing with that tech. The model you show might have been designed for injection molding or maybe SLS printing. With the right resin, you could try SLA. It could be printed with FFF, but some of those things might be weak due to the small cross section, so you'll want to print in a material with excellent layer adhesion.
As for the guide holder, smooth is always good, but with good settings for your printer, a supported surface should be more than smooth enough. That's how I designed the guide holder for the SCX NASCAR chassis I did recently, and guides work quite nicely against that supported surface.
Since you're also into modeling, you might consider using that file as a template and make your preferred changes to it.
As far as the implied question of "free versus paid", I judge on the model, not if it was free or paid. I've seen plenty of crap that people charge for, and plenty of wonderful things that are free.
printables.com/@MrFlippant

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)