Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

So Social media went down ....
#17

I actually tried hard to get kicked off of a Facebook group.
Not by being an absolute jerk but by putting a small toe over the line of being patronizing... essentially I told people that question had been asked before and there was a search function and that should try out.

I did word it mildly offensive.. something like: Hey, that question has been asked like 100 times already. Maybe try the search function before posting.

It took all of about 46 minutes before I was being told off for being "rude". Which I admit I was. But I stuck to my guns pointing out that people were not helping themselves by not doing any research on their own.

I stopped short of calling people lazy but I did note clearly that while social media has some very good strengths it also has many weaknesses and trouble shooting is one of them.

After about 72 hours always being just north of pedantic b@stard line I shut off all social media for 72 hours and came back....

TA DA...
With the exception of one person no one NO ONE remembered my little hissy fit/ rant. In fact, when the same question was asked for the 101st time someone ELSE who had chastised me for being "elitist" pointed out the search function.... so people CAN still learn... shocking..

Seriously though I agree with all the above. Social media are part of the equation today whether we like it or not. The important thing is to recognize it is all complimentary at the best of times but none of it is the end all be all.

Both my kids are in their teens and we have had serious conversations about the impact of all this. In fact we were very proud when my daughter got help for a classmate that was self-hurting (discovered by a picture on Instagram) and the classmate got the help they needed...

What social media does absolutely brilliantly is created a buzz especially around timed events. You can get a build up, report during and then a follow up afterwards. By their very nature they spread the info and that is all a very good thing.

My personal rule is: If I am seeking advice on a subject and based on said advice I may permanently destroy said object or harm said person I do not rely on one single source of information.

As some of you know I am active in classic car restoration and I have seen questions about mildly important items such as brakes on Facebook and depending on who happens to see the post you can get some very scary, sometimes lethal and often illegal advice whereas if you go to any forum about that brand of car you may get that same advice but almost always a rebuttal or some other source of information to get a more definitive answer.
[+] 1 member Likes dvd3500's post
Quote


Messages In This Thread
So Social media went down .... - by Anthony B - 5th-Oct-21, 05:39 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by Kevan - 5th-Oct-21, 06:11 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by woodcote - 5th-Oct-21, 06:58 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by Gordon Steadman - 5th-Oct-21, 07:43 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by Nico - 5th-Oct-21, 08:52 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by RustySS - 5th-Oct-21, 10:56 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by Savage GT - 6th-Oct-21, 05:46 AM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by Mazda - 6th-Oct-21, 10:09 AM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by Kevan - 6th-Oct-21, 10:53 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by CMOTD - 6th-Oct-21, 10:12 AM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by Gordon Steadman - 6th-Oct-21, 11:01 AM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by Anthony B - 6th-Oct-21, 11:20 AM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by woodcote - 6th-Oct-21, 03:45 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by Johnno - 6th-Oct-21, 08:51 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by Gordon Steadman - 6th-Oct-21, 12:10 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by JasonB - 6th-Oct-21, 11:48 PM
RE: So Social media went down .... - by dvd3500 - 7th-Oct-21, 10:13 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)