4th-Jun-21, 05:46 PM
I have always been a big fan of the Cox 1/24 cars, and while I do have many that I race in somewhat stock configuration, I have also always been less than impressed with their lack of competitiveness vs. some of the other kits/RTR's of the time.
I have tried several modifications over the years, and have settled on the chassis mods. (in the below pics.) as my "go to" chassis mods for the Cox cars...(rules permitting)
The goal(s) were to.....
1/ Freeze the drop arm
2/ Allow for guide height adjustments for various tracks
3/ Lower the front ride height without using non scale tiny front tyres
4/ Add some much needed weight
5/ Allow the chassis to be returned to stock configuration easily
The pan section that I came up with accomplishes all my goals.
I have raised the front axle tube (vs stock) which allows a lower ride height with same size wheels/tyres.
It slips on over the upper chassis mount, and uses the drop arm retainer tube holes in the chassis for the rear pan mounts.
I can undo 3 nuts/bolts, slip on the stock nylon front axle carrier, and the chassis is reverted to stock.
![[Image: DSCN4134-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/q734yYHw/DSCN4134-copy.jpg)
Bottom view.......
![[Image: DSCN4143-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/gjNWGb3z/DSCN4143-copy.jpg)
The drop arm is frozen via a 2/56 nut bolt, which also allows for guide height adjustments for various tracks. The drop arm is drilled, with the 2/56 bolt passing through, as can be seen in the prior pic.
![[Image: DSCN4133-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/mgqTc4Jh/DSCN4133-copy.jpg)
The finished chassis,......this one utilizes the "Dino" chassis with the FT16D motor on the adjustable aluminum motor plate,.........this is by far the best Cox chassis for any Vintage racing,..........unless your rules specify a 36D, in which case the 36D "Team Modified" chassis is the one to look for.
The original Cox FT16D has had significant upgrades......Tradeship endbell, can bushing replaced and soldered in, zapped/matched Arco magnets with shims, drill blank motor shaft, rewound/balanced arm, improved/trued comm., better brushes/springs and heat sinks.
![[Image: DSCN4149-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/pVqbhxnx/DSCN4149-copy.jpg)
A similar chassis sits under this Cox "Dino"
![[Image: 2003-12-31-23-00-00-31-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/PJG4NCzK/2003-12-31-23-00-00-31-copy.jpg)
![[Image: 2003-12-31-23-00-00-79-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/zXFjXXLS/2003-12-31-23-00-00-79-copy.jpg)
Cheers
Chris Walker
I have tried several modifications over the years, and have settled on the chassis mods. (in the below pics.) as my "go to" chassis mods for the Cox cars...(rules permitting)
The goal(s) were to.....
1/ Freeze the drop arm
2/ Allow for guide height adjustments for various tracks
3/ Lower the front ride height without using non scale tiny front tyres
4/ Add some much needed weight
5/ Allow the chassis to be returned to stock configuration easily
The pan section that I came up with accomplishes all my goals.
I have raised the front axle tube (vs stock) which allows a lower ride height with same size wheels/tyres.
It slips on over the upper chassis mount, and uses the drop arm retainer tube holes in the chassis for the rear pan mounts.
I can undo 3 nuts/bolts, slip on the stock nylon front axle carrier, and the chassis is reverted to stock.
![[Image: DSCN4134-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/q734yYHw/DSCN4134-copy.jpg)
Bottom view.......
![[Image: DSCN4143-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/gjNWGb3z/DSCN4143-copy.jpg)
The drop arm is frozen via a 2/56 nut bolt, which also allows for guide height adjustments for various tracks. The drop arm is drilled, with the 2/56 bolt passing through, as can be seen in the prior pic.
![[Image: DSCN4133-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/mgqTc4Jh/DSCN4133-copy.jpg)
The finished chassis,......this one utilizes the "Dino" chassis with the FT16D motor on the adjustable aluminum motor plate,.........this is by far the best Cox chassis for any Vintage racing,..........unless your rules specify a 36D, in which case the 36D "Team Modified" chassis is the one to look for.
The original Cox FT16D has had significant upgrades......Tradeship endbell, can bushing replaced and soldered in, zapped/matched Arco magnets with shims, drill blank motor shaft, rewound/balanced arm, improved/trued comm., better brushes/springs and heat sinks.
![[Image: DSCN4149-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/pVqbhxnx/DSCN4149-copy.jpg)
A similar chassis sits under this Cox "Dino"
![[Image: 2003-12-31-23-00-00-31-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/PJG4NCzK/2003-12-31-23-00-00-31-copy.jpg)
![[Image: 2003-12-31-23-00-00-79-copy.jpg]](https://i.postimg.cc/zXFjXXLS/2003-12-31-23-00-00-79-copy.jpg)
Cheers
Chris Walker

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)