9th-May-21, 06:53 AM
So, 2 ways to go...
Lighter car
- can use NSR tyres without destroying them over the long stages.
- lighter car may be more difficult to drive because they accelerate and brake faster than some drivers can handle.
Would longer ratios be an effective alternative technique to calm the car down?
Longer ratios would also be kinder to the tyres but may raise motor temperatures.
Heavier car (87g IS heavy for a short can car)
- works the tyres harder
(leading to the need for urethanes)
Urethanes are not as high grip as nsr rubber on wood, therefore engineer the car to lean more.
Truing urethanes: I use Ortmanns when racing on (painted) scaley sport track.
I find that skimming (dry) on the axle works best slowly, slowly with only the car weight pushing down on the tyre.
Adding oil based fluids to true urethane doesn't work for me. (Zippo etc)
I only ever use domestic degreasers on urethane.
Testing is required. I don't do "home tracks" so can't wait till MiltonKeynes RaceWars is open so that I can do some testing on wood.
Alan
Lighter car
- can use NSR tyres without destroying them over the long stages.
- lighter car may be more difficult to drive because they accelerate and brake faster than some drivers can handle.
Would longer ratios be an effective alternative technique to calm the car down?
Longer ratios would also be kinder to the tyres but may raise motor temperatures.
Heavier car (87g IS heavy for a short can car)
- works the tyres harder
(leading to the need for urethanes)
Urethanes are not as high grip as nsr rubber on wood, therefore engineer the car to lean more.
Truing urethanes: I use Ortmanns when racing on (painted) scaley sport track.
I find that skimming (dry) on the axle works best slowly, slowly with only the car weight pushing down on the tyre.
Adding oil based fluids to true urethane doesn't work for me. (Zippo etc)
I only ever use domestic degreasers on urethane.
Testing is required. I don't do "home tracks" so can't wait till MiltonKeynes RaceWars is open so that I can do some testing on wood.
Alan

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)