Posts: 554
Threads: 32
Likes Received: 817 in 363 posts
Likes Given: 197
Joined: Dec 2020
Location burnley UK
just a query
bought this life-like chevy model kit the other day
upon opening , the model looks quite small
are life-like models truly 1/32 scale ?
or was this car originally smaller than i thought ?
the kit itself looks nice and is still sealed , so no complaints regarding the kit , its just the scale ?
does anyone know or are familiar with these kits ?
thanks in advance
Kev
Posts: 3,216
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 4,784 in 2,086 posts
Likes Given: 565
Joined: Nov 2020
Location Nottingham
(26th-Apr-25, 10:07 AM)OXO cube Wrote: just a query
bought this life-like chevy model kit the other day
upon opening , the model looks quite small
are life-like models truly 1/32 scale ?
or was this car originally smaller than i thought ?
the kit itself looks nice and is still sealed , so no complaints regarding the kit , its just the scale ?
does anyone know or are familiar with these kits ?
thanks in advance
Kev
I have a few resin bodies of similar models, and they do vary quite a lot depending on actual real cars.
So more than likely it is correct
Can you measure the body width, and I can compare with my various 50’s resin bodies I have ?
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
I just had a look for full-size dimensions and put it through my scale converter as if I was 3D printing one.
1/32 dimensions would be:
58.75mm wide
91.28mm wheelbase
156.28mm length
It's not a huge car by 60's US car standards
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
(This post was last modified: 26th-Apr-25, 11:58 AM by
Kevan.)
•
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Hi Kev,
I have a bus load of Life Like kits. The '52 Chevy is extra small, and isn't anywhere to scale compared to the rest of the kits.
I painted my '52 Chevy. But chose not to complete it in the end. Way too small.
Get a '49 Tudor if you want a good slot car platform from Life Life (Lindberg same thing).
There's the '52 Chevy in the back. The yellow thingie. The Tudor is the red car in the middle.
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
That can't be 1/32 then
...do I spy an XK120 next to the Mustang?
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
(26th-Apr-25, 12:04 PM)Kevan Wrote: That can't be 1/32 then
...do I spy an XK120 next to the Mustang?
Hi Kevan,
The Chevy is a static kit, and answers to no one concerning scale. It was a cheap dollar store kit when it was current.
You are very observant. Yes, it's a Life Like XK120. It was a glue-bomb when I got it.
You'll have to pardon the driver. He likes to slide down into his seat and sit really low. Some people eh?
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Thinking back now. This Jag created quite the buzz with one fellow. He said it was the stupidest build I ever made because the driver can't see above the dash.
I took one extra pic just for him. I said "If I can see his eyes from the front of the car. He can also see me". I can see the driver's sun glasses.
The passenger will likely lose an eye when another car kicks up a rock. The glue bomb came without a windshield.
•
Posts: 554
Threads: 32
Likes Received: 817 in 363 posts
Likes Given: 197
Joined: Dec 2020
Location burnley UK
(26th-Apr-25, 11:17 AM)Kevan Wrote: I just had a look for full-size dimensions and put it through my scale converter as if I was 3D printing one.
1/32 dimensions would be:
58.75mm wide
91.28mm wheelbase
156.28mm length
It's not a huge car by 60's US car standards
thanks guys
i didnt want to open the sealed package to measure accurately , just incase i resell , but with the chrome and sides fitted i bet its not far off
Get a '49 Tudor if you want a good slot car platform from Life Life (Lindberg same thing).
will have a look out Ken
Kev
•
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
I have a spare Tudor if you wish.
Kevan and Kevin. Are you guys sort of close to each other for shipping purposes?
Ken
(This post was last modified: 26th-Apr-25, 01:07 PM by
KensRedZed.)
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
130 miles including a ferry trip halfway across the Irish Sea
Life is like a box of Slot cars...