Posts: 1,963
Threads: 178
Likes Received: 2,498 in 968 posts
Likes Given: 2,431
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Overijse, Belgium
Back when I was a kid we used to play the game - 'Never have I ever......' . No clue why this transformed into slot cars - but it did - weird mind mine I tell you!!
Never have I ever in my 60 odd years of racing and collecting slot cars, have I had before the race tuned Porsche 550 by Scalextric!!!
Picked this up in a local second had site along with other cars - all of which I had back in the day, Price was very right, so....here it is
The group I bought it in:
(This post was last modified: 6th-Jun-24, 12:40 PM by
Anthony B.)
Posts: 789
Threads: 30
Likes Received: 1,382 in 619 posts
Likes Given: 482
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Auburn, WA, USA
Me neither. :)
So, I have to ask... what makes it "race tuned" other than marketing?
printables.com/@MrFlippant
Posts: 388
Threads: 43
Likes Received: 957 in 299 posts
Likes Given: 1
Joined: Aug 2019
Location Toronto, Canada
(6th-Jun-24, 03:38 PM)MrFlippant Wrote: Me neither. :)
So, I have to ask... what makes it "race tuned" other than marketing?
Scalextric did apply the "Race Tuned" name to a few of their cars, (eg. the Power Sledge line ) without any apparent upgrades/changes, but in 1966 the "Race Tuned" appeared on a couple of their cars,.....with some changes.
The trusty RX motor apparently came with a slightly different wind,.....however, the ones I had/have since tried, did not seem all that much different than the standard version, and, they did have black motor sideplates instead of the standard unpainted metal. One worthwhile change was the addition of a swivel guide blade to replace the standard shallow pin guide, which did help...........so all in all , a few positive changes, but largely marketing based.
Cheers
Chris Walker
(This post was last modified: 6th-Jun-24, 05:34 PM by
chrisguyw.)
Posts: 388
Threads: 43
Likes Received: 957 in 299 posts
Likes Given: 1
Joined: Aug 2019
Location Toronto, Canada
Hello Anthony,..while the work involved may not be what you are up for,...both the Ferrari and Lotus in your latest haul, can be made to look and run fairly decently.
Cheers
Chris Walker
Posts: 1,748
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Hello Anthony,
Does the Porsche have the lead weight in the tail? My blue one does but is not marked as "Race-Tuned"
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
Posts: 272
Threads: 59
Likes Received: 298 in 137 posts
Likes Given: 439
Joined: Nov 2023
Location Gateshead, Tyneside, UK
IIRC, back in the day the Race Tuned cars worked best with matching Race Tuned controllers.
I don't know if it was just 10-year-old me and my inexperience, but I remember several burnt-out standard controllers after running Race Tuned cars until the lady in the toy shop told me about Race Tuned controllers.
Best regards,
Stuart.
(This post was last modified: 7th-Jun-24, 07:20 AM by
StuBeeDoo.)
Posts: 1,963
Threads: 178
Likes Received: 2,498 in 968 posts
Likes Given: 2,431
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Overijse, Belgium