Posts: 32
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 35 in 18 posts
Likes Given: 93
Joined: Apr 2019
Location County Galway, Ireland
Hi all,
I'm looking for recommendations for a razor saw or similar to cut the bases off figures for my track? I'm planning on drilling into their feet and legs too put in a short length of piano wire or similar and then into a hole in the baseboard.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
John
•
Posts: 304
Threads: 17
Likes Received: 368 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
Exacto for me, John
I have used it for years with at least one blade replacement.
There may be other options but this one was on the model shop wall so I bought it.
•
Posts: 32
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 35 in 18 posts
Likes Given: 93
Joined: Apr 2019
Location County Galway, Ireland
Thanks John
There's a shortage of model shops here in Ireland. It might have to be 'whatever I can find' but it's always useful to have suggestions. There's been a few posts on SF too.
Cheers,
John
(This post was last modified: 16th-Nov-23, 07:32 PM by
john roche.)
•
Posts: 15
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 15 in 8 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Sep 2022
John
I had trouble trying to cut the bases RS off figures,tended to cut into the feet a bit. So now I cut around the feet with side cutters and sand the rest off.
Easy for me as I have a sander set up like a linisher?.
•
Posts: 32
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 35 in 18 posts
Likes Given: 93
Joined: Apr 2019
Location County Galway, Ireland
Thanks Phil, I'll try that. I like your different approach!
Cheers,
John
•
Posts: 4,507
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,054 in 1,812 posts
Likes Given: 4,198
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
I use a Zona.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•
Posts: 1,748
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,598 in 813 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Hello John,
I got my Tamiya Razor Saw from my local hobby shop and it changed my life!
Currently on my second. Quite big but gives good control to get straight cuts.
Fairly easy to find, comes with a spare blade.
Leo
Link to an example - other stockists are out there.
https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/modelli...24-p12622/
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
Posts: 4,507
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,054 in 1,812 posts
Likes Given: 4,198
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
The favourite use for my razor saw is brass tube for making axle tubes and spacers.
...also superb for cutting the front face off knackered plastic wheels to use as alloy wheel inserts
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
No need to drill holes up their legs and insert wires John, just use this stuff.
LINK Saves a lot of work.
•
Posts: 32
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 35 in 18 posts
Likes Given: 93
Joined: Apr 2019
Location County Galway, Ireland
Thanks again guys. Brian, that's a new product for me, I'll have to find some.
Cheers,
John
•