Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

NSR F22 Transmission
#11

(5th-Aug-23, 12:14 PM)BARacer Wrote:  So back to first principles...why would you want to change the pinion?

To change gearing to suit your particular track.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post
Quote
#12

What's needed is simple...long boss hollow pinions as used in RC cars since the 80's...and was mentioned weeks and weeks and weeks ago when the car was first released by a couple of us who raced RC back then

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#13

(5th-Aug-23, 12:27 PM)Kevan Wrote:  
(5th-Aug-23, 12:14 PM)BARacer Wrote:  So back to first principles...why would you want to change the pinion?

To change gearing to suit your particular track.

I hear what you are saying, but I always thought these Formula XX cars were meant to be a fixed standard spec 'class' that would allow inter-club competition

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#14

Coming at this from a slightly different  viewpoint,   the new NSR Formula 22 isn't even close in shape to the current Formula 1 Grand Prix cars.  Put one next to a current Scalextric Grand Prix car, and the dimensions are way out, see Slot Magazine issue 58.

NSR have designed a car which is similar to the current Formula 1 cars, but simply wrong in almost all dimensions.
So either get the dimensions within an acceptable standard,  or get the drive train,  motor and ability to be tuned correct. 

They seem to have failed on both accounts.
Quote
#15

(5th-Aug-23, 01:04 PM)BARacer Wrote:  
(5th-Aug-23, 12:27 PM)Kevan Wrote:  
(5th-Aug-23, 12:14 PM)BARacer Wrote:  So back to first principles...why would you want to change the pinion?

To change gearing to suit your particular track.

I hear what you are saying, but I always thought these Formula XX cars were meant to be a fixed standard spec 'class' that would allow inter-club competition

and how many are going to be used for that? probably a minority.  There's at least one in our club and he has zero intention racing elsewhere

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#16

(5th-Aug-23, 12:14 PM)BARacer Wrote:  So back to first principles...why would you want to change the pinion?

Well I need to change the motor which necessitates I either remove the pinion or buy a new pinion for the new motor.
[+] 1 member Likes darrelm47's post
Quote
#17

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a formula 22 for next season's racing. 
The McLaren Piastri
I also ordered a spare 10T  pinion 
I have quite a shopping list to reconstruct the car as I want it 
At first the only transmission charges I will  make are to replace the crown and to add axle collars.
I'll post my experiences here as 2024 progresses.
AlanW


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
[+] 4 members Like Nonfractal's post
Quote
#18

(15th-Dec-23, 11:08 AM)Nonfractal Wrote:  At first the only transmission charges I will  make are to replace the crown and to add axle collars.

The two most important changes on any NSR inline because the NSR crowns have a reputation of short longevity and an axle collar should be a given on such a car from a race bred background.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#19

Update on pinions.
Pinion removal: 
Used a dremel disc cutter to remove the pinion's  spigot.
 2mm drill to open the hole for access to the motor spindle.
Used a regular ninco puller to remove the pinion. 

Pinion change needed because I wanted to shorten the 10/27 gearing but a 28 crown grinds on the bodywork preventing full suspension movement.

At 10/27 the car felt really sluggish and heavy. 
9/27 is the next ratio to try.

Sloting+ collars hold the assembly in line (whether the spigot is in place or not) 
   
Quote
#20

It might be quicker and easier to crush the brass shank with a hammer and punch which will spread the brass making it easy to pull off.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)