Posts: 2,514
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,556
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
I race one of these on Carrera plastic track. My tyre of choice are Slot.it N22s.
If anyone else on here races this car, do you add any ballast, or do you run light?
I love puttering with gears
•
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
Ballast ballast ballast,
You're going to get lots of feedback from lots racers with fixed entrenched views.
The calibra is the choice of the slot.it touring cars, easily outperforming the Alfa and Merc.
I race the calibra at two tracks:
1. NascotWoodslotcarclub.co.uk on Ninco track and slot.it E1 tyres. Simx16 motor, all other opponents are factory fit.
2. Londonslotcarclub.com on painted scaextric sport track and urethane tyres, all other components are factory fit (Simx15 motor)
At both tracks I use very little ballast , just enough to temper bad behaviour.
The car has a tendancy to lift the guide off the line so about a gram of tungsten putty just behind the guide keeps the front end in the slot.
At Both tracks I use NSR race braid.
AlanW
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Ballast is every magless cars friend if you want to get round corners faster keeping the rear end planted. Saying that everyone is different, some race flyweights, some race lead sleds.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 2,514
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,556
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
I've got a bit of lead around the guide, but am toying with adding a tungsten piece into the pod in front of the motor.
Suppose I just need to run both options in practice and let the clock decide...
I love puttering with gears
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Don't be afraid to use more than 'a bit'.
If you look at proxy cars (Group 5 and recent GT3) you'll invariably see the space in front of the pod full of lead and the sills between the wheels with sizeable chunks also.
Bear in mind lead in the pod keeps the front down and aids rear traction also.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 196
Threads: 6
Likes Received: 206 in 104 posts
Likes Given: 198
Joined: Oct 2020
Raced on 2 routed tracks, no mag effect, fairly standard cars but grippier tyres, ballast behind guide, in the front of the motor pod, down the sides of the chassis.
It was quite tippy, as had a lot of grip so just kept adding lead until the laptimes stopped getting quicker.
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
When I first started racing Slot cars in 2015 all the old timers said the same thing...keep adding weight until lap times deteriorate.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 196
Threads: 6
Likes Received: 206 in 104 posts
Likes Given: 198
Joined: Oct 2020
(11th-Jul-22, 03:21 PM)Kevan Wrote: When I first started racing Slot cars in 2015 all the old timers said the same thing...keep adding weight until lap times deteriorate.
Yeah pretty much what I do, as a last resort I should add, try to make sure I have maximised every other part of the potential first.
•
Posts: 2,514
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,556
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
Yep, got no problem with that.
As the slot.it DTM was a pretty widespread race class, I just thought I would test what people do with the Calibra, which is already a nice wide and low base for starters.
I love puttering with gears
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
(11th-Jul-22, 06:25 PM)tatter06 Wrote: (11th-Jul-22, 03:21 PM)Kevan Wrote: When I first started racing Slot cars in 2015 all the old timers said the same thing...keep adding weight until lap times deteriorate.
Yeah pretty much what I do, as a last resort I should add, try to make sure I have maximised every other part of the potential first.
If you've finished setting the car up and the only thing left is ballast and it reduces lap time then it's not a final resort. I don't own a single car that goes better with no ballast...tell a lie, Revoslots

...then again they ain't flyweights so don't need ballast.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•