Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

desoldering wick
#1

[Image: fr140-85-600x600.jpg]
does anyone else use this for their guide braids ?
it is a very soft braid and seems to work well 
it is far cheaper than the after market braids from the major companies 
i try to use the un-fluxed type , but it seems to be getting more difficult to find 
is there a reason why 'fluxed' or 'no clean' wick shouldn't be used ?
does it not make much difference ?
is it worth trying to remove the flux from fluxed wick ?
is there even a way to do this ?

Kev
[+] 1 member Likes OXO cube's post
Quote
#2

Yep, been using it for a couple of years, it's cheap, it's thin and I cut a length 40mm long, fold it in half so it's double thickness but still super supple then feed through the guide... Thumbup Thumbup

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#3

Loads of this braid cheap as chips on ebay 
I can't believe I've never heard of this before.
How thick is the braid? Does anyone have a caliper and can measure it for me?
AlanW
Quote
#4

Most of us HO drag racers use it. Simply solder it to the front of the original pickups. It is available in several different widths.
Quote
#5

(22nd-May-22, 04:53 AM)Nonfractal Wrote:  How thick is the braid? Does anyone have a caliper and can measure it for me?

0.3mm / 0.4mm thick 
widths upto 3.5mm Alan

my question still stands ;- 
does it  matter if fluxed or none fluxed is used ?

as stated i have been using none fluxed for a while ,  but is getting increasingly hard to find 
guess for the price a test is in order :)

Kev
Quote
#6

    The type that I use is fluxed, it is called Goot Wick.
[+] 1 member Likes Mazda's post
Quote
#7

Tradeflame 2.0mm x 1.5mm De-Soldering Wick - 2 Pack

De-soldering Wick, twin pack Bunnings (Australia)

Wire Diameter (mm): 3

[Image: bc9c13e5acf84e06ac2b781e040a1b49?v=3535b42a&t=w500dpr1]


Quote
#8

I don't know whether the stuff I use is fluxed or not.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#9

seems quite a few use the fluxed type 

the only reason i can see for NOT using fluxed wick is that the flux could in theory leave a residue on plastic track rails which in turn could lead to some oxidization / corrosion 

but from what i can see the tiny amounts reflected here would have negligible results / effects

most people keep on top of their braids since they are so important , and clean them regularly , surely this maintenance will quickly remove any of this flux 

any initial loss of a 'good' contact due to a flux coating would in theory quickly disappear  within the 1st couple laps due to wear / friction 

please bear in mind , this is only my own 'tin pot' way of thinking and has not been verified either way at the moment 

will conduct back to back tests when the fluxed braid arrives  Thumbup

and post any relevant results 

Kev
[+] 3 members Like OXO cube's post
Quote
#10

I looked at the label on the couple of rolls I bought, it's in Chinese so double Dutch to me I'm afraid

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)