Posts: 23
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 24 in 14 posts
Likes Given: 18
Joined: Feb 2022
Location Nottingham, UK
After the post called Old Tech? I decided to buy an Arc Pro PB.
I’m getting started again with the hobby so only have a few cars, all less than 6 weeks old.
My ‘best’ car is a BMW C3782 great speed, stability - hard to crash.
I put digital chips in all 4 of my cars. 3 of these cars work well.
The BMW (my best car on my analog set up) shot forward, caused a short, slight burning smell and then stopped. Chip fried, tested in the other cars.
Braids replaced just in case. I can see nothing visibly wrong when I look in the body (but of course I don’t really know what I’m looking for!). So hoping it was a faulty chip, tried another chip. Same issue. I think I got it off the track in time but don’t want to even try it again just in case.
I don’t want to lose this car as it will make a fab Pace Car.
Any help/guidance appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 13th-Feb-22, 03:24 PM by
mediaboy.)
•
Posts: 789
Threads: 30
Likes Received: 1,382 in 619 posts
Likes Given: 482
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Auburn, WA, USA
Probably either the motor, or wiring to the motor. Look inside for any possibility the wiring, such as the "ferrite man" on the motor, can short, such as on the can of the motor. That'll blow a chip every time.
printables.com/@MrFlippant
Posts: 23
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 24 in 14 posts
Likes Given: 18
Joined: Feb 2022
Location Nottingham, UK
I will Google ferrite man.
Why would this not be a problem on my older analog power and it is a problem with digital?
Thank you
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
It is a radio/TV interference suppressor in analogue and is irrelevant there but it is essential with digital.
Posts: 23
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 24 in 14 posts
Likes Given: 18
Joined: Feb 2022
Location Nottingham, UK
This is what the Ferrite Man looks like in the car.
First image. Does it look okay?
However, maybe I missed this before this is not connected from the front lights
Second image.
How to fix?
Would that cause the issue?
•
Posts: 789
Threads: 30
Likes Received: 1,382 in 619 posts
Likes Given: 482
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Auburn, WA, USA
put a piece of tape over the top of the motor, under the ferrite man, to make sure that the legs can never touch the can, even when the body is put back on.
If you have a DPR blank/analog plate, install that in place of the chip, and then put your base in analog mode to run that car. Turn off the lights, and see if there is a lot of sparking visible in the openings of the motor can when you run it with the wheels up, the motor might be killing chips.
I don't think the broken wire for the lights was the cause, unless it was able to create a short somewhere else between the chip and the motor, or on the chip itself.
printables.com/@MrFlippant
Posts: 23
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 24 in 14 posts
Likes Given: 18
Joined: Feb 2022
Location Nottingham, UK
Very helpful. Thank you.
I’ll try this.
Would the tape melt with a hot motor?
“Wheels up”?
-sorry basic questions, I’m new!
•
Posts: 789
Threads: 30
Likes Received: 1,382 in 619 posts
Likes Given: 482
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Auburn, WA, USA
the motor should not get hot enough to melt the tape. If it does, there's your problem.
Wheels up.. as in, off of the track so that the car does not move forward and you can go full power and watch the motor rather than the car crashing in the first turn. No slot car slang here. ;-)
printables.com/@MrFlippant
Posts: 568
Threads: 116
Likes Received: 489 in 321 posts
Likes Given: 37
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Sydney Australia
It’s either a faulty chip(s) or resistance in the motor. Seeing it’s one of your most run cars it will have more wear n tear including picking up metallic dust from worn braids like a magnetic vacuum cleaner.
I would put a new(er) motor in it before frying any more chips.
I’ve also seen ssd chips burn up immediately after installation with motors that are proven to be ok. I even managed to catch it on video.
Posts: 23
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 24 in 14 posts
Likes Given: 18
Joined: Feb 2022
Location Nottingham, UK
I decided to send the car back to Hornby. It’s only a few weeks old. I really don’t want to burn through more chips.
Thank you for your help/advice.
•