Posts: 599
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 447 in 272 posts
Likes Given: 955
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
Seems majority like the inserts for varying reasons with the most being appearance. I hate them with a passion just like mirrors and wings, all useless items and unnecessarily weight.
I'm done seeing the inserts, wings and mirrors coming off not only my cars but others, I leave all these on the car if they came attached, if they come in the box/case as a part to be installed, they don't get installed, once an insert comes out/off during racing that's it for the inserts for me.
And I'm not about to spend $9 for useless weight from the inserts, the same for rear wings, class regs state must have wing on car if it came with the wing at race starts, soon as the posts break, cut them off and hot glue wing to car.
Interesting reading the posts for sure
•
Posts: 1,247
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
I've been running a 24th scale E type Jag for some time now. It had plain wheels and, eventually, the fact that it didn't look right started to annoy me. Today, I stuck in some of Munter's resin wire wheel inserts and it looks like a Jag again.
A scale slot car once more rather than just something that might as well have a blob body on it and giant wings.
I guess I might be on the side of inserts.
PS: Pics of said Jag. It was good to see CUT 7 still racing at Goodwood at the weekend. Dick Protheroe's spirit lives on.
Posts: 1,963
Threads: 178
Likes Received: 2,498 in 968 posts
Likes Given: 2,431
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Overijse, Belgium
Paint silver and then use the Tamiya 'Smoke' over the top - makes the wheels look pretty good ;)
Posts: 599
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 447 in 272 posts
Likes Given: 955
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
Has been great reading the responses by all. After having just now started work on some cars I am leaning towards wheel inserts, yes I understand they do nothing but add weight, however they do finish the car off.
Saying this I've gone off and ordered some Staffs wheels
Show Us Ya Slotz - Staffs Air Wheels
Posts: 882
Threads: 51
Likes Received: 2,386 in 709 posts
Likes Given: 2,635
Joined: Apr 2019
Location The Netherlands
(20th-Sep-21, 07:46 PM)Johnno Wrote: Seems majority like the inserts for varying reasons with the most being appearance. I hate them with a passion just like mirrors and wings, all useless items and unnecessarily weight.
It depends on how far you want to go; leaving the whole body off saves even more weight!

The Staffs wheels are a nice alternative.
Posts: 599
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 447 in 272 posts
Likes Given: 955
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
•
Posts: 2,355
Threads: 106
Likes Received: 2,443 in 1,147 posts
Likes Given: 7,771
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Farlington, North Yorkshire, UK
Proper wheels are a requirement for me. Genuine liveries and accurate bodies also.
But then I'm not much of a racer, and would prefer a set of realistically slow, but equally matched, and well modelled cars.
Posts: 984
Threads: 112
Likes Received: 1,307 in 493 posts
Likes Given: 1,247
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Cambridgeshire
A while back I bought a cheap chinese "mini lathe" for the purpose of turning down plastic wheels to make as inserts.
I have used it for various things, but not that, until today.
After working on some Fly MAN trucks for a friend, I was that pleased with how I got them to go, I ordered myself a pair of Merc's.
As I had exhausted Pendle's supply of components I used on his, I had to work it differently for mine.
While awaiting their arrival, Today I started work on trimming down tyre widths etc (on the mini lathe).
I was actually going to leave the wheels sans inserts as they IMO don't look massively out of place on a truck.
But then I thought I would have a go at turning down the fronts left over from my friends build.
It worked a treat:
Unfortunately the back wheels are a lot harder to do, so its back to plan A and sans inserts
(This post was last modified: 17th-Oct-21, 12:39 PM by
Savage GT.)
Posts: 4,507
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,054 in 1,812 posts
Likes Given: 4,198
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
I'm not fussed, inserts look nice if they're fitted but if not I don't bother.
Some classes require them, a lot of proxies require them, CSCRA require them.
•
Posts: 4,507
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,054 in 1,812 posts
Likes Given: 4,198
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
A revisit to the wheel inserts matter...
Now as a regular entrant of Graham's proxies, wheel inserts are something I've had to grow to like, don't throw old plastic wheels away because they make great inserts for zero cost.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...