Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Best adhesives and filler ?
#1

All being well, I should soon start on my first bit of kit bashing soon.
This plans to involve cutting and shutting various plastic body parts and attempting to reprofile some areas with filler and plasticard.

If the project goes to plan I hope to give it to a friend to cast mould for resin, but also would like to run the modified body as is, so need something up to the rigours of slot racing.

so I ask those of you who have been at it some time:

Best adhesive for bonding plastics ?
Best filler for smoothing and reshaping ?

Both needing to be freely available in the UK.

In my current arsenal I have G.S. Hypo cement, Humbrol modelers cement and JB weld Steel reinforced epoxy.
And was thinking of using car body filler (P38) for the other work ?

Anything known to be stronger / better for either of the above tasks ?
Quote
#2

If it is an ordinary plastic kit, I would use Revell Contacta. I find it dries and hardens quickly. It also has a fine tube for applying to small areas.
For filling I use P38 car filler for larger areas as it is easy to apply and sands well. For a finer finish and small blemishes Humbrol model filler is good. It dries quickly and has a very smooth finish. I use an old credit card to apply filler as it can be easily cut down to apply filler in very small areas.
[+] 2 members Like Mazda's post
Quote
#3

Thanks Mazda, Sorry should have mentioned its a slot car body I am starting with. Presumably slightly different plastic to kits.
I used the term kit bashing loosely, as I wouldn't call what I am attempting scratch building, that's reserved for those far more skilled people that literally start from nothing !
Quote
#4

It may be worth trying the Revell adhesive on a small section inside the shell where it will not show, just to see if it works. It is very good but if not I would use a rapid epoxy resin adhesive.
[+] 2 members Like Mazda's post
Quote
#5

I fully agree on the Contacta! It actually "welds" the parts together. 
But try first as suggested, does not work with all plastic material, plus clean parts to be glued together or even use fine grinding paper (1200).

Nico

Donne e motori, gioie e dolori - Frauen und Autos, Freuden und Leiden
[+] 1 member Likes Nico's post
Quote
#6

P38 is good stuff
[+] 1 member Likes munter's post
Quote
#7

Thanks gents  Thumbup
[+] 2 members Like Savage GT's post
Quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)