Posts: 599
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 447 in 272 posts
Likes Given: 955
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
Couldn't find a home for this, so thought it might make a Weekly Topic, or not
Over time with upgrades to the cars rear wheels and in general the wheel inserts falling out, am wondering what are your thoughts on Wheel Inserts or Not.
Myself, I prefer and like the look of the metal wheels (no inserts) now this comes with inherent risks as some of the wheels (no inserts) have copped a decent hit and the wheel being dented, wonder if the insert might have saved the wheel dents?
My track cars are exactly that, track cars, they show the scars of racing, even got one, the Revoslot Dodge Viper where I had some IPA on my fingers and it attacked the paint work...
Johnno
Posts: 2,514
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,558
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
I like my cars to look like the real version, so inserts are right up there on my list...too high up probably. I just changed all the wheels on a recent white kit so I could fit inserts that looked more realistic!
I love puttering with gears
Posts: 984
Threads: 112
Likes Received: 1,307 in 493 posts
Likes Given: 1,247
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Cambridgeshire
I prefer cars to have them.
Generally they are a snug fit, but if the inserts are prone to coming off a smearing of uhu in the appropriate places keeps them in place.
I also like the one piece styled alloy wheels, but sometimes you can not get those in the size/style or air versions you want.
I don't like no inserts on standard wheels personally.
In all my time in this hobby, i have never managed to acquire a dent in a wheel.
In the question of inserts preventing dents, possibly the older ones that fit to the wall of the wheel might help, but I prefer the ones that slip over the axle sleeve myself.
My only gripe is usually with the likes of Sideways cars where they are so tight from the factory an attempted removal risks damaging the insert.
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
(19th-Sep-21, 07:55 AM)Johnno Wrote: .. I prefer and like the look of the metal wheels (no inserts)
now this comes with inherent risks as some of the wheels (no inserts) have copped a decent hit and the wheel being dented, wonder if the insert might have saved the wheel dents?
Johnno
For me, Inserts are just added rotational inertia. They add no performance.
I don't use inserts unless the ruleset for the class demands it.
If a realistic wheel face is required, I will always prefer alloys with a properly engineered face.
Staffs wheels for example.
If you hit the wall so hard that it damages the rim, it's probably no longer running true.
An insert probably would not have made any difference to that type of damage.
Alan
Posts: 4,022
Threads: 686
Likes Received: 9,030 in 3,106 posts
Likes Given: 9,338
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Worthing, UK
I like my slot cars to look like scale models of real cars - so the wheels are super-important. Inserts, moulded plastic or machined alloys - I don’t mind. Blanks, not for me.
Posts: 304
Threads: 17
Likes Received: 368 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
As someone who makes many varieties of inserts(resin),..... of course you need inserts....
Posts: 2,059
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,412 in 1,390 posts
Likes Given: 3,127
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Interesting question with several answers/opinions.
Drag racing is weight sensitive, and inserts are just dead weight. Machined alloy mag wheels, or plain lightweight plastic wheels work well.
Road racing is usually won in the corners. If I ever lose a race, and blame just the inserts? Everyone please have a chuckle at my expense. I'll probably be laughing too.
I like inserts on everything. Even if it's not the correct ones. They add a nice sparkle to any eye-candy.
(This post was last modified: 19th-Sep-21, 10:51 PM by
KensRedZed.)
Posts: 159
Threads: 8
Likes Received: 388 in 114 posts
Likes Given: 176
Joined: Sep 2020
Having spent a good bit of time this afternoon crawling around under my track looking for a lost insert, I’m tempted to say be done with them. But I vote in favor of them for the 1/32 hard body cars I run these days.
No insert found but did come across a dead mouse and a mirror I lost two weeks ago.
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
(20th-Sep-21, 02:20 AM)mickey thumbs Wrote: Having spent a good bit of time this afternoon crawling around under my track looking for a lost insert, I’m tempted to say be done with them. But I vote in favor of them for the 1/32 hard body cars I run these days.
No insert found but did come across a dead mouse and a mirror I lost two weeks ago.
Buy some replacement inserts. Your lost one will certainly turn up once you stop looking for it.
Posts: 100
Threads: 4
Likes Received: 111 in 58 posts
Likes Given: 20
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
I am an insert fan myself and the correct ones as well. I don't like cars that have the incorrect wheel inserts or no inserts.
DM