Posts: 298
Threads: 20
Likes Received: 455 in 191 posts
Likes Given: 1,428
Joined: Dec 2020
Hi
Could someone help me out please.
I have just completed my first scenic which was going super and the cliffs were painted ok. Then I came to drop grass on via the static electric applicator after first putting wood glue down.
This did go on pretty good the only problem is the glue can be seen under the grass ( white) even though it says on the tube it drys clear!!! As yet that hasn’t happened and it looks like it’s grass on snow. Any ideas please?. Thanking you
•
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
When did you put the glue down?
It can sometimes take a few days for wood glue to become transparent.
Alan
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
If your wood glue was PVA based it sounds like you've put it on too thickly.
You can thin PVA down a bit before application so it wil spread more easily.
•
Posts: 255
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 593 in 217 posts
Likes Given: 255
Joined: May 2020
Location Norfolk
I have used green or earth colour paint on large areas and apply the grass before the paint drys. Or on smaller areas a PVA adhesive as this drys clear.
•
Posts: 298
Threads: 20
Likes Received: 455 in 191 posts
Likes Given: 1,428
Joined: Dec 2020
Thanks for the tips , it was only yesterday but very cold so I am wondering if that had an effect. I will wait a while longer before making a decision . ( wether to paste over and start again!,
•
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 0 in 0 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Feb 2021
Yes, the cold may not help. I have had situations in which diluted PVA glue did not fully dry (or become fully clear) for three or four days, and that was in a climate-controlled environment!
•
Posts: 1,963
Threads: 178
Likes Received: 2,498 in 968 posts
Likes Given: 2,431
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Overijse, Belgium
Absolutely wait - have some patience - the cold is a huge effect on glue (and paint) drying......
•