Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Have I fried my C8217 powerbase?
#1

I guess I have. The red LED comes on but goes out when I press the throttle and the car just hums (gently to itself  Bigsmile )

Can it be saved or is it just junk now? (The powerbase - the car's fine.)

Unfortunately despite the piles of track I have it seems I only have (had?) the one analogue powerbase and I'm stuffed until the eBay pair I've ordered arrive.  Tappingfoot
Quote
#2

Open it up and take a look. If you can spot the damage, maybe it can be repaired or bypassed.

Or, you know... ditch the toy bits and wire up a proper power supply and controller. ;)

printables.com/@MrFlippant
Quote
#3

Any chance it might be the controller?

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#4

Stripped it down and nothing obvious. No melted insulation on the wires, all solder joints solid and in tact. None of the electrical 'gubbin's show signs of distress. Tried another controller and the LED reacted to the trigger  but still no power at the track. 

A couple of C8217's are on their way from eBay.

It's only a temporary floor circuit for car set-up and testing purposes so I don't see the need for moving away from the 'toy bits'. If it was permanent .....
Quote
#5

The LED should on solidly shouldn't it? If it is dimming then yes some component has failed.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
Quote
#6

Turns out it was the PSU itself. 

First clue was when I came to unplug it. It wasn't connected to the track but was too hot to be comfortably unplugged with bare hands! I had to switch it off at the wall and let it cool down.

Although I didn't have another Scalextric PSU I pirated the track connector, put it on another brand of PSU and I'm up and running again. I'm pleased as I'd not disconnected but had rerouted the wires in the power-base so they were below the slot. (Some deeper guides were snagging on or being halted by it.) I had hoped it wasn't that which was the problem.
[+] 1 member Likes Top Down's post
Quote
#7

Ah. Solved one problem, now I have another. 
Terrible radio interference when using the replacement PSU.  Tappingfoot
Quote
#8

Seems like a power issue. Check connections, look for loose wires, and wait for the new powerbase you've ordered.
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)