18th-Nov-19, 02:06 PM
Once upon a time there was a great movie about 3 Austin Mini Coopers being used to acquire gold bullion from Italy. Many years later (2003) another movie was produced featuring 3 MINI Coopers doing a vaguely similar heist in the USA.
Fans of the original movie like myself dismissed the second movie as little more than a promotion/advert for BMW MINIs. Anyway, Scalextric decided to make a 2003 set based upon two of the MINIs with the third one being available separately as a ... Limited Edition.
16 years after the second movie's release, I decided to get the Scalextric MINIs and then build up some support vehicles - as I had done previously for the original movie.
The 2003 movie set was a crash and bash type featuring jump and 90 degree crossing sections so the blue and red cars provided tended to suffer damage. Fortunately replacement headlamp lenses and mirrors are available on Ebay. I managed to buy a set with cars which only had damage to bits that were available, and when they arrived I realised that Scalextric had left the cars with helmeted drivers and right-hand-drive :- (
Replacement drivers and switching them to the left wasn't too difficult so all I needed was the L-E white car. Ebay stock tends to be mint-in-box with high prices and attacking such with razor saw didn't really appeal but I eventually succumbed.
Supporting vehicles were a bit challenging although a late model Mini Cooper seemed obvious and fairly easy via Spain and after much research, I decided that the bullion truck, motor-cycles and a small helicopter were all significant pieces.
There are several deliberate differences between 2003 and 1969 such as the MINIs ran in the order Blue, Red and White whereas 1969 has Red, White and Blue (no prizes for guessing why). The similarities are there also -- tunnels, pavements, explosions and squeezing three cars into a small space.
Here endeth the lesson concerning Mini and MINI ...
Fans of the original movie like myself dismissed the second movie as little more than a promotion/advert for BMW MINIs. Anyway, Scalextric decided to make a 2003 set based upon two of the MINIs with the third one being available separately as a ... Limited Edition.
16 years after the second movie's release, I decided to get the Scalextric MINIs and then build up some support vehicles - as I had done previously for the original movie.
The 2003 movie set was a crash and bash type featuring jump and 90 degree crossing sections so the blue and red cars provided tended to suffer damage. Fortunately replacement headlamp lenses and mirrors are available on Ebay. I managed to buy a set with cars which only had damage to bits that were available, and when they arrived I realised that Scalextric had left the cars with helmeted drivers and right-hand-drive :- (
Replacement drivers and switching them to the left wasn't too difficult so all I needed was the L-E white car. Ebay stock tends to be mint-in-box with high prices and attacking such with razor saw didn't really appeal but I eventually succumbed.
Supporting vehicles were a bit challenging although a late model Mini Cooper seemed obvious and fairly easy via Spain and after much research, I decided that the bullion truck, motor-cycles and a small helicopter were all significant pieces.
There are several deliberate differences between 2003 and 1969 such as the MINIs ran in the order Blue, Red and White whereas 1969 has Red, White and Blue (no prizes for guessing why). The similarities are there also -- tunnels, pavements, explosions and squeezing three cars into a small space.
Here endeth the lesson concerning Mini and MINI ...
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)