The sweeping corners and undulations of Brands Hatch have made it one of the best loved, and most well known tracks in Britain. In fact Gerhard Berger once called it "the best circuit in the world", and the venue hosted the British Grand Prix from 1964-86, on alternate years, sharing with Silverstone.
The circuit was originally a natural grassy hollow that was shaped like an amphitheatre, first used as a circuit in the late 1920s by a group of cyclists, with the permission of the local landowner.
It wasn't until 1950 that the track was paved, and the circuit opened as a motor racing venue on the 16th April.
The original kidney shaped layout was extended in 1954 to add what is now Druid's Hill Bend, and in 1960 the track length was doubled by extending the circuit into the next valley, to form what is more or less the current layout.
WRN-1021 Brands Hatch