Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Policar March 701 Monza 1971

Policar CAR04d - March 701 #26 Jean-Pierre Jarier, Monza 1971

The latest Policar March 701 will be with UK retailers in the next few days. It is the fourth livery that Policar have produced on the 701 and the second using the revised chassis (ref: Policar PCS04t-a) that moves the guide position forward a few millimetres for improved handling.

The 701 was the first F1 car produced by March, designed by Robin Herd and Peter Wright for the 1970 season. The works March team campaigned three STP-sponsored cars for Chris Amon, Jo Siffert and Mario Andretti, Tyrrell developing two 701s for Jackie Stewart, Johnny Servoz-Gavin and François Cevert. Despite Stewart describing the 701 as "the most difficult F1 car I drove", both Amon and Stewart saw some  good results in the early part of the season, each picking up a win at the non-championship F1 races at Brands Hatch and Silverstone - and Stewart winning the Spanish Grand Prix at Jarama. In all, the 701s scored one Grand Prix win, four second places and three third places during the 1970 Grand Prix season. However, Stewart switched to the new Tyrrell 001 for the final three races.

At the end of 1970, the works cars were sold off and private teams campaigned 701s in the South African, Tasman and British F1 series. Only three races in the 1971 Formula One World Championship saw 701s entered, the last of which was Jean-Pierre Jarier's Grand Prix debut at Monza. Having impressed for the Shell Arnold team in Formula Two, he was given a chance in Hubert Hahne's 701 that had failed to qualify at the previous year's Germany Grand Prix. Jarier qualified in twenty-fourth and last place, three-tenths behind Rolf Stommelen's Surtees. Jarier finished the race, albeit eight laps behind winner Peter Gethin and was not classified. That was the final Grand Prix appearance for the 701, but the first of 135 Grand Prix starts for Jarier.

The Policar model of the March 701 does look fabulous from all angles. The unique Policar motor and gearbox assembly achieves smooth power delivery and exceptional performance from the 23,000 rpm slim can 'DFV' motor. A brass 9-tooth pinion drives through a double-sided 25/16-tooth plastic gear and a final metal 17-tooth gear on the axle. Axles with 16 and 18-tooth gears are also available as spare parts. Although the cars are fitted with plastic rear hubs, Policar aluminium F1 rear wheels can be used, with correct wheel inserts for the March also available.

Reports suggest that the revised chassis has improved the handling of the 701 significantly and it is now competitive with the Policar Lotus 72. These two will, of course, be joined by the long-awaited Ferrari 312B2 a little later in the year. RRP for the Jarier March 701 is £59.95 - although both MRE and Pendle Slot Racing have the car on pre-order for just under £54.
[+] 2 members Like woodcote's post

This brings back such memories of when I used to attend and love F1 races.

Just awesome and thanks Andy for your continued huge work on getting all the news!!
[+] 1 member Likes Anthony B's post

It was certainly a great era of F1...

I don't whether my first trip to an F1 race was in 1970 or 1971 - it would have been the Silverstone International Trophy. I was started very young - and I seem to remember my dad once saying I was two (which would have been 1970) and I might have seen Chris Amon win with the 701 - or I might have been asleep. I do remember the sound and smell of the F1 and F5000 cars that we'd go and see at Silverstone throughout the 70s. Sadly, I've not come across any pictures of those trips amongst my dad's things and the programmes have been lost - but my memories remain, especially of frantically filling out the laps charts when I was a bit older.

I definitely remember this one...

oooph - that is a nice find.... I was there sitting on the small straight just before clubhouse - clearly remember the red STP 701's . Age catching up with me as I dont really remember the other cars :)  Obviously I remember when I see either pictures or portions of the race, but those STP cars really stick :)
[+] 1 member Likes Anthony B's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by lerex
22nd-Mar-24, 12:25 PM
Last Post by Fast Co.
19th-Oct-22, 11:55 PM