Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Aurora 1/32 McLaren M12

I am not really sure where to put this thread [Image: icon_question.gif] ,......it is a Vintage body, has a scratchbuilt chassis, and, was built for a proxy.

Anyway, the body is an Aurora McLaren M12 (Aurora called it the XLR,...likely due to licensing issues), and it was issued in 1970 (I think).
The 1:1 car was built by McLaren in 1969 as a customer car, and its most famous customer that year was Chaparral cars which entered one driven by John Surtees.

Aurora also made a Ferrari 612 CanAm, Ford Mirage, and a gorgeous Ferrari 312P.......all really nice bodies, but, they came with the "AJet" chassis, which was a stretched variation of their TJet HO chassis, and they did not really perform all that well at all.

Still, the bodies were great, and can be made into some really nice looking cars.

So, as this was a CanAm proxy, I decided to do a Chaparral cars 1969 McLaren M12, as driven by John Surtees.

Cheers
Chris Walker

The Aurora M12 looks big, but, compared to a Slot-it M8D, it does not look too bad, although the actual M8D was a larger car, so, the Aurora version is slightly over 1/32 scale. (The Slot-it M8D is in the center).

[Image: fetch?id=4326&d=1572624257]

I opened all the vents and added screening, replaced the injector stacks, added mirrors and exhaust pipes, detailed the driver, and painted it with Tamiya pure white. It was finished off with some really nice (correct) decals from Indycals, and give a couple of coats of Tamiya semi gloss clear.....race cars were not all that shiny in 1969 [Image: wink.png]
BWA wheels and BWA McLaren inserts were used.

[Image: fetch?id=4327&d=1572624804]

[Image: fetch?id=4328&d=1572624855]

I had a couple of these bodies, so, I did another one to roughly represent the the car entered by the "Great Western Champagne" company (hence the Campagne gold colour), as raced at Watkins Glen in 1970. This is painted with Tamiya's Champagne gold.

[Image: fetch?id=4329&d=1572625043]

As far as the chassis,.....well, as this was a CanAm series, I decided to go with "Big Tires/Big Motor" which was typical for the real cars of the time, and as most slot cars in 1968 were still inline configurations, I opted for that configuration to be somewhat period correct.

A fairly straight forward design, which again, matches both the 1:1 cars, and, the slot cars of the time........it is quick !!,....lots of traction, and plenty of Grunt.....just as it was [Image: dance.gif]

[Image: fetch?id=4330&d=1572626526]
[+] 7 members Like chrisguyw's post

We don't mind where you put them Chris, we're just happy to see such nice work.

Just love your work Chris!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Tibbs
17th-Jul-22, 12:18 PM
Last Post by anddelanyno20
16th-Aug-21, 07:33 AM
Last Post by KensRedZed
20th-Jan-21, 11:35 PM
Last Post by Anthony B
24th-Apr-20, 10:03 PM
Last Post by Anthony B