Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trackmate Racing System
Icons8-race-car-16 

About Trackmate Racing
Trackmate Racing was founded in 1997 by Daniel Groulx. Trackmate is the creator of Race Timing Systems, Electronic Timers  and Timing Software Solutions. As the developer, programmer and manufacturer for all of its proprietary products, Trackmate offers turn-key Timing Solutions for Slot car Tracks, R/C cars, Quadcopter/Drones, Drag racing, Skateboards, ATVs, Snowmobiles and many more. In addition to their unique electronics, Trackmate develops it's own timing software solutions that operates in Windows or a stand-alone hardware systems.

On to the post. I have been reading on another forum (only because the topic does not exist here, which it now does) regarding Trackmate Timing system, including Hardware and Software for Trackmate.

I have just purchased a complete four-lane trackmate timing system for my routed track system (MrTax modular system @ mrtrax.com) it would appear there are people and clubs having issues with Trackmate system and want to find out more regarding Trackmate from other users and clubs alike.

What are any issues that you have had in the past or currently, how have you fixed these. Thoughts, opinions all appreciated.

I have got the four-lane gantry, etc. here is a 40 second video of beginning of my track build by Peter at MrTrax YouTube video: https://youtu.be/1WVWmJOvjcU

Your track is looking good Johnno Sun

We use Trackmate hardware and software at Worthing HO Racing and have done so for about eight years. I also use the hardware and software at home on my HO test track and on my 4-lane routed HO bullring oval. Here is Trackmate in action at WHO and on the oval...

At the club, we use v.8.40 of the Trackmate software with a deadstrip. We use Trackmate as a stand-alone timer and use a separate Excel-based spreadsheet to run the evening - we input data manually into the spreadsheet. At home, I use a later version (v.8.71) with reed switches as sensors - these work fine with all the HO cars I run. For the oval racing, we set up Trackmate to run a rotation race, but also record the scores manually. I should really update to the latest v.9.41 from earlier this year...

Probably the biggest compliment I can give to Trackmate is that I really don't notice it. It simply does the job with absolutely no dramas and no arguments. No missed laps, a clear de-bounce (if a sub-minimum lap time is trigged) and a clear indication if a car has counted a lap at the end of a timed race.

I'm not aware of other people having major issues with Trackmate. The track interface hardware is as solid and reliable as there is. Daniel updates the software regularly to iron out any bugs and to add or improve features. It's no surprise that stand-alone race management programmes are often designed to work with the Trackmate interface or recommend it. Quite a few HO, 1/32 and 1/24 clubs in the UK now use Race Coordinator, often with the Trackmate interface. The majority of serious Slot Car Drag Racing series use the Trackmate drag racing package.

Having said that, it is important to understand how the hardware and software works. You can have a good look round the software now before you get your track - download from here. There are some limitations with the hardware, but that is often down to the lap sensing. For example, if you are using a light bridge and sensors, there is always the risk of a de-slotted car triggering all four lanes if it crosses the start/finish line on its roof! That's why setting a minimum lap time is important (and adjust it if you are running slower or quicker classes of car).

If you will have more that four racers, then you can have someone sitting on 'Race Control' running Trackmate and others marshalling cars at corners. If you have four (or less), then you'll need a stop button (you might have this in the package) so the drivers can pause the racing to re-slot cars.

I'd always recommend spending time with the software and - starting with the basics of running a simple race - just see how it works. Then gradually add more features in. Daniel has a basic outline of features, plus video and troubleshooting guide on the Trackmate website.

What were the issues these other clubs and individual were having? And are there any you are particularly worried about?
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

(18th-Oct-19, 02:08 PM)woodcote Wrote:  Your track is looking good Johnno Sun

snip... 

Probably the biggest compliment I can give to Trackmate is that I really don't notice it. It simply does the job with absolutely no dramas and no arguments. No missed laps, a clear de-bounce (if a sub-minimum lap time is trigged) and a clear indication if a car has counted a lap at the end of a timed race.

snip... 

Having said that, it is important to understand how the hardware and software works. You can have a good look round the software now before you get your track - download from here. There are some limitations with the hardware, but that is often down to the lap sensing. For example, if you are using a light bridge and sensors, there is always the risk of a de-slotted car triggering all four lanes if it crosses the start/finish line on its roof! That's why setting a minimum lap time is important (and adjust it if you are running slower or quicker classes of car).

If you will have more that four racers, then you can have someone sitting on 'Race Control' running Trackmate and others marshalling cars at corners. If you have four (or less), then you'll need a stop button (you might have this in the package) so the drivers can pause the racing to re-slot cars.

I'd always recommend spending time with the software and - starting with the basics of running a simple race - just see how it works. Then gradually add more features in. Daniel has a basic outline of features, plus video and troubleshooting guide on the Trackmate website.

What were the issues these other clubs and individual were having? And are there any you are particularly worried about?
Hi Andy, 

Apologies for late reply, I have been reading it several times since you posted. Been distracted a tad.

Thanks, I am hoping it will be better once it gets here and I can play with designs, in that short video, you are seeing only three modules that includes the cross over. There are another nine modules to be attached  Bigsmile 

Not actually noticing the system is a good thing, that means it works without very little issues popping up. That is a huge positive.

I am probably jumping the gun a bit here then as I don't have the hardware to play around with, the software I grabbed weeks ago and have played around some with the settings, however, no hardware makes it hard to really grasp the power and use of such.

I find it interesting to see that others are using the Trackmate hardware with the Race co-ordinator software. I am not sure if there will be a stop button included, no doubt it isn't. I did see this on the site while browsing. Might have to add that later I guess. Do I need one for each driver station? I'd assume this is a yes rather not assume though.

Hopefully Peter will spend an hour with me running me through the setup, after he leaves I will be relocating the modules upstairs to the lounge room so explanation and guidance will be required by this noob. I am already expecting the learning curve to be a sharp instant climb.

As you suggested about starting with the basics is a good suggestion, thanks for that. I haven't even really started my Q&A document for when Peter arrives, any thoughts that come to you?

I have been trying to find these other posts, without success though... I hope that there is no problems with the SF gantry, I guess I will find out as it gets used more and after I learn loads more. I can't say that I have any worries currently in mind.
[+] 1 member Likes Johnno's post