Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Super GT x DTM at Hockenheim

DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters) and Japanese Super GT are two series I quite enjoy catching on livestreaming or YouTube highlights. And there are - of course - plenty of slot cars from both series that have been produced over the years in various scales. I have one or two.

This weekend moves a significant step towards the culmination of a process that aligns the technical regulations of the two series so that teams can compete in both. Discussions started in 2010 and the new 'Class One' rules were adopted by DTM this year and due in Super GT for 2020. The DTM season finale at Hockenheim will feature wildcard entries by three Super GT cars - a Honda, a Nissan and a Lexus - as a symbolic joining of the two series. Reigning Super GT champion Jenson Button will drive the Honda.

In the UK, coverage of Race One (Saturday 12.15pm) and Race Two (Sunday 12.15pm) is on FreeSports (www.freesports.tv/tv-schedule) and livestreamed on the DTM website:  www.dtm.com/de/live-experience

This first event in Germany will be followed by a joint event at Fuji on 22-24 November that has been termed the "Super GT x DTM Dream Race" and is the last action of 2019 for both series. The weekend will be run to the DTM format of two 55-minute (plus one lap) races with a mandatory pit stop for a tyre change and no driver changes or refuelling (as in Super GT). The race will not use the DTM push-to-pass or DRS devices. All the DTM manufacturers will be represented in Fuji, with 6-10 DTM cars expected to take part. For both the Hockenheim and Fuji events, a Balance of Performance will be in operation as the Super GT cars are not yet Class One compliant.

This is some video from a ceremonial DTM visit to Motegi in 2017...

There's more about DTM here: www.dtm.com

The Super GT website is here: supergt.net
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

I really enjoyed the DTM action over the weekend. Part of my interest was adapting the qualifying and race formats for future digital simulations... and I do like how important qualifying is to the weekend and to the championship - the top 3 in each session scoring points.

Race One on Saturday was more or less in the dry...

And Race Two on Sunday very much in the wet...

And here’s how the Super GT folks saw it...

I shall be following DTM again next year and am mighty tempted to make the trip to Brands Hatch in August.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

The Super GT x DTM 'Dream Race' takes place at Fuji this weekend and the DTM cars have arrived from Germany...

There's a race on Saturday and another on Sunday - both streamed live on the DTM website.

Gerhard Berger, the chairman of DTM said,
Quote:The DTM’s two German brands Audi and BMW will bring to Japan some of their greatest champions – two- time winners René Rast and Marco Wittmann, as well as Mike Rockenfeller; and racers Loïc Duval and Benoît Tréluyer, who each achieved success in Japan during their long and successful careers. In addition, local hero Kamui Kobayashi, and the legendary Alex Zanardi, whose achievements need no introduction, will race for the honour of the German marques. As we write a new chapter in the history of both our series this weekend, I hope we have a safe and successful event, and that everyone enjoys the spectacle, the fun and the thrill that comes from combining our two series together on the racetrack.

There's more here: www.dtm.com/en/news/supergtxdtm-fuji-the-dream-becomes-a-reality