Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I'm into bodies

Ronnie very kindly allowed me a morning off today. Must say I feel better for it, working solidly on the house all the time does make one a dull boy!

I've only ever seen these cars as solid lumps of wood and they look so different with the windows cut out, almost like slot car bodies!!

There is obviously more to this slush casting business than meets the eye. Whilst I'm pleased with the bodies, it's obvious that getting an even layer of resin is the trick. On the Bristol especially, there were really thick parts that needed a huge amount of grinding/scraping in order to be able to cut the windows out. As it is, the Dremel - the third, never again - is stuck on slow speed and hardly cuts so it's been scraper and scalpel. As it is, it will be necessary to do some lightening in places but that was expected.

Must look out for an alternative to the Dremel though, completely lost faith in the things, the speed control always goes pop.
[+] 1 member Likes Gordon Steadman's post

Strange - I have had 3 Dremels in 30 years - still have all of them. Only issue I have had is battery life.... so I always buy spares. PS Battery versions are better that the ekectric ones IMHO

(27th-Apr-22, 10:22 AM)Anthony B Wrote:  Strange - I have had 3 Dremels in 30 years - still have all of them. Only issue I have had is battery life.... so I always buy spares. PS Battery versions are better that the ekectric ones IMHO

Never had battery powered ones. There are plenty of Chinese clones out there so will probably try one next. Probably made in the same factory though Tappingfoot

Try Proxxon ;)

(27th-Apr-22, 09:55 AM)Gordon Steadman Wrote:  There is obviously more to this slush casting business than meets the eye. Whilst I'm pleased with the bodies, it's obvious that getting an even layer of resin is the trick. On the Bristol especially, there were really thick parts that needed a huge amount of grinding/scraping in order to be able to cut the windows out.

Don't know much about this... But I do know that recessing the windows a couple of mm on the original model makes slushing and opening up windows much easier. You can then see what you are doing when pouring around the resin, and the screens almost fall out just by looking at them... Bigsmile 

Carver

(27th-Apr-22, 08:04 PM)Carver Wrote:  
(27th-Apr-22, 09:55 AM)Gordon Steadman Wrote:  There is obviously more to this slush casting business than meets the eye. Whilst I'm pleased with the bodies, it's obvious that getting an even layer of resin is the trick. On the Bristol especially, there were really thick parts that needed a huge amount of grinding/scraping in order to be able to cut the windows out.

Don't know much about this... But I do know that recessing the windows a couple of mm on the original model makes slushing and opening up windows much easier. You can then see what you are doing when pouring around the resin, and the screens almost fall out just by looking at them... Bigsmile 

Carver

Hi Carver,

It didn't help  that these bodies weren't really done with the intention of being cast. They were just my early attempts at wooden cars. Although I have said I have no intention of getting into casting, when the house is done, it might be something I will play with. Obviously there will be different needs.

Although racing is the main thing for me, making the bodies has become a close second.

Can someone who is used to resin give me some guidance?

I'm not sure how thick to leave the bodies. With superglue impregnated balsa I can manage 2mm while retaining strength, I would assume that resin is rather stronger but don't want to go mad. All three feel slightly heavier than I expected at present.

The Dremel is driving me mad with its speed problems so that will just have to go.

Hi Gordon ,I tried my first slush casting last year ,and it was really thick ,in some areas and see through in others ,but I ground mine out with a sanding drum in the bench still and then could use both hands to control the body .
It sort of worked but not having finished the car I've no idea how strong it will be .

Steve

HI Steve,

Hope you and her are well.

Very much a matter of experimenting then as no-one has given very precise guidance.

The Dremel replacement arrived today and seems well enough built, probably in the same factory that makes Dremels but a third of the price. Zillions of accessories that will probably never be used, the one thing good about the Dremel is the range of tools and cutters available.

All the instructions are in English which is very kind for something made in China and sold in France. Instructions that is, as in, take care using it. No illustrations of how the extension fits or anything else. Eventually discovered how but really shouldn't have had to.

Anyway, it works and thinning (to some unspecified thinness) will proceed.
[+] 1 member Likes Gordon Steadman's post

The resins are still at a basic stage but they do at least now have working chassis. Need to think about some glazing and paint soon.

Time for cars is still very short as I'm desperately trying to finish the house before I get too old to finish. I'm getting a bit tired as it is. Seventy five is probably not the best age to be rebuilding old wrecks.
[+] 5 members Like Gordon Steadman's post