Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The BBC

This is a build up over years - but take a listen next time a rugby match is broadcast on the Beeeb

the absolute WORST is F1 - but that is not the Beeb

The Beeb's attempts to remain balanced in its news coverage and programming is becoming a bit of an anachronism. Right-wing friends and colleagues have always accused it of being too left-wing and PC, while left-wing friends and colleagues moan about it being too right-wing and pro-establishment. Once upon a time, most people would see themselves in the middle ground of politics and accept and respect the balanced position of the BBC. However, on many issues, that middle ground just doesn't exist anymore - people are either 100% pro or anti, an advocate or a denier - so any attempt to be balanced just annoys everyone...

There's also the increasingly competitive nature of media, with the need for provocative headlines and content to attract viewers or readers - clickbait and dumbing-down. The BBC seem to becoming just as guilty of this as anyone. Sport coverage is another arena where this happens - forget the nuances and complexities of a sport, just drape it in a union jack and we can all get behind 'our' boys or girls. And they wonder why big sporting events have a disappointing 'legacy'...

Having said all that, I think the BBC provides some magnificent content. Some of the in-depth news coverage is really thought-provoking and allows me to start understanding complex situations and read between the lines. I find this mostly on the BBC website and on radio (5, 4 and World Service). There's loads of TV that I have no interest in - but I am delighted other people are entertained by it. I tend to watch BBC programmes via iPlayer and love some of the home-grown and imported dramas and comedies which tend to get watched in our house on Friday and Saturday evening, now we're happier staying in than going out on the town.  So far this year, I've particularly enjoyed the vampire mockumentary series "What We Do in the Shadows", the wonderful "Pose" and the scarily near-future drama "Years and Years".

The BBC might be an anachronism, but worth hanging on to, warts 'n' all.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

And my wife LOVES Montalbano :)

Most of their series are superb to be fair.... just the reporting.... Cool
[+] 1 member Likes Anthony B's post

I like Montalbano, plus quite a few of the other European crime dramas, including some cracking Belgian stuff like Cordon (2014), Salamander (2012 onwards) and the bizarre Professor T (2015 onwards) - although Prof T is on the Channel 4 family of channels here. I remember when I lived in France, loads of French people adored Inspecteur Barnaby (aka Midsommer Murders) and asked if the British countryside really was that dangerous. Maybe we can’t learn too much about a country from their TV crime dramas...

I love a good daft murder mystery and watch them all - Montalbano, Midsomer Murders, Poirot, Miss Marple, Death in Paradise, Miss Fisher, Agatha Raisin etc. I enjoy solving the murders before the detective so here are my tips:

The obvious suspect, who gets arrested first, didn't do it.
The 2nd and 3rd suspects didn't do it either and will probably be murdered as well.
There is usually a sub plot designed to lead you astray - ignore it.
The murder is always done by "someone who hasn't been in it much". They usually only appear in a couple of scenes and seem to be incidental to the plot. The exception to this rule was one Montalbano episode where the murderer wasn't in at all! He only appeared in the last two minutes prior to his arrest.

If you haven't seen it I recommend Brokenwood Mysteries - the New Zealand version of Midsomer with equally bizarre characters, plots and murders. A new series is currently being filmed.
[+] 1 member Likes CMOTD's post

Top tips there. You always know that if the plot is leading you in a particular direction, it's the wrong direction.

Did you guys get to see Baptiste?

I THINK a follow on from Salamander??

It was brilliant...
[+] 1 member Likes Anthony B's post