Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

W Series

The final race in the W Series was on Sunday. I just managed to catch up with it - YouTube link below.   The championship was still open to two of the drivers so their were two battles, Race and Championship.
There was a fair bit of controversy when the series was announced but I think the consensus is that its good in that it gives the drivers some exposure and their names are out there for people to talk about. 
The TV presentation is strangely "stiff" but no doubt will improve for the next run.

Leo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MfWKAL1djM&t=1345s

Forum Precepts:
          Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.
          Don't feed the Troll.

http://www.scuderiaturini.com

I've enjoyed it. I originally agreed with the likes of Pippa Mann, Flick Haigh and Claire Williams that the series distracted from the successes (and struggles) that women are having in the wider racing world. I also expected Jamie Chadwick (who was very good in F3 last year) to dominate. However, the format has delivered some exciting racing and a much closer championship than expected. Claire Williams was certainly won over and offered Jamie Chadwick an excellent development role at Williams.

Yes, at first I thought it was a backward step, but a lot of success in sport is about establishing a name/brand. 
In 2012, Louise Cook won overall in the FIA World Production Car Rally Championship and tried to follow-through to more success but ultimately could not get sponsorship. I believe that this was the first (only?) instance of a woman winning a world-level motorsport championship without it being a female category. 

My only complaint about W-Series is the number of races... need many more. I think that luck played a part in the 2019 series, although Jamie Chadwick is a worthy winner.

Leo

Forum Precepts:
          Don't feed the Troll.

When I was growing up, Michèle Mouton was driving (and winning) for Audi and it didn't cross my mind that women shouldn't be racing drivers. Having an icon at the top of the sport would certainly help now, but it isn't easy. I like what Karun Chandhok said a couple of years ago...

Quote:If motorsport is ever going to achieve its full potential as a product, it needs to appeal to – and be inclusive of – the widest possible demographic. That means it’s just as important to engage women as it is men, and the best way to do this is to have more women in the sport with a high profile. Having team bosses in Formula One like Claire Williams and Monisha Kaltenborn is great, but I think it needs a female driver to really crack things open.

People laughed at Bernie Ecclestone when he suggested an all-female F1 series, but I think he’s on to something. The elite level is not the place, but if you had a girls’ karting series in the serious motorsport countries, which allowed the best young females to get used to winning before they go up against the boys, then they’re less likely to be intimidated when they encounter the ‘I’m not being beaten by a girl’ attitude that, sadly, still exists.

The big barrier could be the parents. The dads that can indulge their sons’ interests in racing do. Would as many do it for their daughters? Or would they try and encourage dancing, or swimming, or something else with strong female role models? This is probably generational, but if we can break the mould and get rid of this ‘racing isn’t something girls do’ attitude that still exists, then in 10 or 20 years’ time, maybe this won’t even be an issue.

One of the great things about our slot car club is that the blokes and the boys have been beaten by girls and women for years and potential new racers can see women in the winners' pictures a few times each year. And if a mum brings along their kids to race, they race too - we don't accept the attitude that 'racing isn't something women do'.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

(13th-Aug-19, 07:12 PM)Scuderia_Turini Wrote:  The TV presentation is strangely "stiff" but no doubt will improve for the next run.

Leo

The overall presentation seemed good to me but the race commentary was beyond dire. I got so fed up with hearing about the championship points situation repeated ad nauseam that I eventually turned the sound off. Cracking race though, regardless of which sex was driving and the pass for the lead into Paddock was a classic.

Shame they couldn't also have broadcast the DTM race which was the headline event at Brands that day.

I think that THIS series should be with the F1 circus - not the imbecillic F3 and F2 -  I mean who actually watches those 2 formulae??

Hello Anthony, 
I have never watched F2 nor F3. The W -Series is F3 but the cars are pooled. Having standardised cars is a great equaliser, hence the close racing and driver skill is a big factor. As far as I know, the team consists of the driver and race-engineer plus any driver support assistants. The reverse-grid race was interesting but I don't think it makes for fair racing. It showed that starting grid-placement is very important, and my opinion is that the normal qualifying based grid-placement is more appropriate.

Leo

Forum Precepts:
          Don't feed the Troll.