Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The best Aurora in the UK for 20 years they said...

Isle of Man, Friday 10th May 2024

These are taken right at the northern tip of the island...no city lights for miles!

At these latitudes our eyes only see shades of grey in low light but a camera sees all.

Luckily, an ex work colleague happened to be camping that night, he said he was too drunk to work his phone, thankfully one of them had a 'proper' camera and obviously knew what he was doing because he must have been running round grabbing photos in what may well be the chance of a lifetime...enjoy Thumbup

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 8 members Like Kevan's post

Stunning pics, sir.   Thumbup

I didn't even know it was happening.  Wor Lass heard (or read) about it just before midnight, all ready for bed.  By that time I had had my head under my wing for a couple of hours - as per usual.

She grabbed her car key, and drove out into the hills to check it out.  Her 'phone pics aren't a patch on yours, though.  Mind, she would have had to drive quite a bit further to escape the light pollution.  .........And this is the person who hates driving at the best of times - and usually won't even consider it in the middle of the night.

Best regards,
Stuart.
[+] 1 member Likes StuBeeDoo's post

I only saw it by pure chance, the missus had gone to bed, I popped out to the bin and noticed something very strange in the sky, long grey lines right over the house and directly overhead looked like looking up through the bottom of a pyramid with a flat top.  The lines stretched right across the sky from northwest right over to southeast.

I went back inside after a few minutes, picked up my phone and checked facebook to see local friends and ex work colleagues posting photos of the northern lights...I dashed upstairs to get the missus and #1 son to come out and have a look.

I couldn't find a night mode on my phone camera so used a long exposure and got this pic from our back garden facing NW.  The pics above were taken about 5 miles north of us.

You can't beat a proper camera so my poor pic doesn't do it justice.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 3 members Like Kevan's post