Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Track planning software for a Mac?

A search turns up a lot of outdated posts on the subject.
Seems there used to be a free version of the Scalextric track layout design software, but the down load no longer opens (at least on my iOS Mac desktop).
I currently have my set up in an oval on an 8 x 10 on a sheet of plywood off the floor on saw horses.
But I'd like some type of layout design software where I could plug in my current track sections and it would give me a layout I could use on my hardwood floor for a temporaryset up.
I can't see paying for a subscription for using it so little.  Even the old free Scalextric software had a 50 section limit.
Anything out there for a Mac?

The only option I know of which will allow you to design a Scalextric track on a mac is Rail Modeller.

As the name suggests it's primarily a model railway planner, but it can do slot tracks as well, and it used to include a Scalextric library, so I imagine it still does.

I can't imagine today someone that doesn't have Parallels or the like on their Mac to run another OS... like some version of Windows perhaps...

If you use Crossover you can then run the free version of Anyrail 6.

These days the need to run another OS on your Mac is far less than before.
So far only designing my track has needed an OS other than macOS and not even an installed copy as Vine still lets us run Windoze software

(1st-Mar-24, 04:12 AM)DPJ Wrote:  I can't imagine today someone that doesn't have Parallels or the like on their Mac to run another OS... like some version of Windows perhaps...

I can't imagine today someone that does have Parallels or the like on their Mac to run another OS Bigsmile

Why on  earth would anyone want a poor copy when the original covers so much ground these days. No I don't want to get into an argument thanks, it just feels fun to raise the old grouches between the fors and againsts. As a Mac user since 1985, I have both feet firmly planted in ithe ecosystem Thumbup I have used Microsoft products and still miss Exell but Numbers does a good enough job etc.....

As far as design software for tracks, I find paper and pencil does a fair job.
[+] 1 member Likes Gordon Steadman's post

Being a mac user ive used the only one available for mac but its not particularly user friendly, in the end i wanted to link my track to a computer so went over to the darkside and purchased a 2nd hand windows pc.

Everytime I open it up it tries to update various drivers etc but give it time to do its thing it gets there eventully.
If its dedicated to your track in your slot room its ok and then means you can pretty much use any track software for planning and then any timing RMS.

(29th-Mar-24, 09:12 AM)Gordon Steadman Wrote:  As far as design software for tracks, I find paper and pencil does a fair job.

Good old paper and pencil...does everything software can't...never needs an update...never fails...costs nowt...and doesn't need batteries or internet.

...Adrian Newey can't be wrong

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by john roche
29th-Jan-24, 12:49 PM
Last Post by Cdrseabee
25th-Dec-23, 02:21 AM
Last Post by BARacer
23rd-Aug-23, 11:42 AM
Last Post by JasonB