Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rally Controller

Whilst I can see the benefit of lots of knobs and whistles on a controller operating thoroughbred racing cars, I am wondering if there is less need for these on a controller for rally cars.

I'm wondering if a simple 35ohm DS controller will be enough for rallying, or is it worth stretching the budget to a TruSpeed BP II with the ability to tweak sensitivity and braking?

What do others use for rallying?

I love puttering with gears

Most of our club members tend to use their normal controller, Truspeed PWM2, MT1 & 2 or BP2.

I got a voltage reduction box for a basic controller to plug into and used that for a year or so.

At the time my 'race' controller was an old Third Eye 3000, brakes, sensitivity and voltage reduction.  When I built my own Rally test track at home on a door sized board I tried the Third Eye and quickly preferred using it and have used it for Rally ever since (about 5 years now).

I since got a Synapse for normal racing but the Third Eye is perfect for me.  You still need to be able to change the basics even on a Rally stage, I note each cars settings on a little sticker on the bottom of the chassis (settings taken from my test track).

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

To back that post up I think the most important adjustment if you have a varied range of cars from various manufacturers or ones you modified...is voltage adjustment because it allows you to keep your normal throttle finger movement range.  If you can't adjust voltage and you're driving a car with a rampant motor then your throttle movement will be very small and therefore not as accurate.

That's just my opinion  Thumbup

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

(16th-Jan-23, 07:36 PM)BARacer Wrote:  Whilst I can see the benefit of lots of knobs and whistles on a controller operating thoroughbred racing cars, I am wondering if there is less need for these on a controller for rally cars.

I'm wondering if a simple 35ohm DS controller will be enough for rallying, or is it worth stretching the budget to a TruSpeed BP II with the ability to tweak sensitivity and braking?

What do others use for rallying?

For a home based Rally track, I would suggest a DS 35ohm controller is the best, even at our local club it usually works better for me than my normal Truspeed controller as the track lengths are short and the track designs are complicated. If your thinking about the controller for your hosting of the proxy, even more necessary not to use a complicated controller as with 40+ cars there will be no time to make individual controller adjustments to suite each model type.
[+] 2 members Like Graham's post

I would add to my comment that in fact I have both a 35 and 45ohm DS controllers which I take around with me to Rally events, and for some really difficult stages might well use the latter.
[+] 1 member Likes Graham's post

A good controller controls no matter what the track is that you are using it on.

Any brand that offers control over braking strength, sensitivity/attack and choke/voltage will be much better than a fixed OHM no adjustability controller.

Like lots of things, you often get what you pay for....or can make.
[+] 2 members Like munter's post

As Graham surmised, it will be used initially on the Rally Proxy, so to keep things consistent for all entrants, I went for a basic DS 35ohm controller... 

Got to love all the resistors rammed in there!

I love puttering with gears

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by CMOTD
2nd-Dec-22, 09:44 PM
Last Post by Anthony B
25th-Nov-21, 01:28 PM
Last Post by OXO cube
24th-Nov-21, 08:30 PM
Last Post by CMOTD
31st-Oct-21, 01:52 PM
Last Post by BARacer