Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rally Cars Slotting Proxy 2023 - Car Builds

Rather than clog the info thread, it'd be great to see progress on your builds for this proxy.

I'd thought about something totally different at the beginning of the event and have an Oldsmobile 88 printed and mostly painted but it's probably going to struggle on some Rally stages so changed my plan.  Still staying in the pre-66 Monte though but now with something slightly smaller but different from the norm - a '65 Ford Falcon Sprint

The body should be printed when I get home after work...you can see the back end in the photo, 3D resin print that takes about 11 hours at the angle it's printing (25 degrees).

A suitable IL chassis is underway, almost finished designing it, also 3D printed but on a filament printer.

My original entry was to be this Olds 88, it'll still see Rally action at our club, if it's nimble enough who knows it may see the next RCSP in 2024

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 5 members Like Kevan's post

I am sorting a Fly 4WD, Audi Quattro for Event 2.
Straight out of the box it was awful, bounced like a kangaroo.
Glueng and truing the rears made little difference.
So I have decided to change the gears to SLotIt, fit different axles and new wheels and tyres.

Problem I need to overcome is how to get the SlotIt pinions onto the motor shafts.

With the spring system in the middle of the shaft I think my SlotIt pinion puller/applicator is just going to bend the shaft.

Any advice as to how to do this?

Gerry

[+] 2 members Like Makem's post

You're best carefully removing the shaft out of the spring and replacing pinions will be easier...careful getting the shaft back in or you can bend the spring  Thumbup

[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

Is it just a push fit, Kevan?

Yes but they can be a bit tight, it helps if you twist it slightly as you're pushing it as it stretches the spring slightly.

Yes I recently did this with a front motor model, really difficult getting the spring off the shaft, I had to rub in some Vaseline into the spring first.

You'll find it much easier to get the spring off if you use two pairs of needle nose pliers, grip the shaft with one leaving enough room for the other to get behind the spring and lever it sideways so you force it off without straining it.

RoadRunners are looking at these options, already have the Jaguar and BMW M1 fitted out with 3d chassis etc, but the others have lingered for long enough on the shelf and deserve a chance to shine. I have 3d chassis for both the Porsche 356 and the Audi Quattro E2 but never fitted them out.
The Audi Quattro was a class winner in the "Rally Sprint Proxy" of 2020 run by the Brighton Club, so tempted to run it again as a Standard Class car, but on the other hand I just like the idea of a complete upgrade  Rofl

[+] 3 members Like Graham's post

my cars are ready 
i think 

but I'm toying with the idea of changing my rebuilt  TR7 to a Rover SD1 that I'm building for giggles  Thumbup

Kev
[+] 1 member Likes OXO cube's post

Working on these two for Class A.  I’m not sure if I can shoe horn a navigator in the 904 but it’s just wide enough and with a little more motor it could be a fun car.  If you see a pic with the #33 on it then it’s ready to go.  The Imp is just a cool car to watch on track as it’s it fits in the palm of your hand easily.
[+] 4 members Like Brumos RSR's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Graham
24th-Mar-24, 04:46 PM
Last Post by Graham
23rd-Mar-24, 08:57 AM
Last Post by Brumos RSR
22nd-Mar-24, 02:10 PM
Last Post by Kevan
11th-Mar-24, 08:15 PM
Last Post by Kevan