Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Standard Slot.it DTM Class: Alfa 155

What ballast placement strategy do people follow to keep these cars upright?

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

Yes, for some strange reason a difficult car to tame, nowt like the Opel which flies round with the right ballast.

I grind out excess plastic from the pod in front of the motor and glue a snug fit chunk of lead in there.

Then a strip each side of the pod on the chassis sills full length/width but clear of the body.

It goes well but can't catch the Opel.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 2 members Like Kevan's post

Sounds like a solid starting point.

Initially I just want to be able to enjoy driving it...Calibra beating performance can follow later!

Wink 

(27th-Jul-22, 08:48 AM)BARacer Wrote:  What ballast placement strategy do people follow to keep these cars upright?

As low, and as wide as possible is not a bad place to start...........initially I would not bother with ballast  along the centerline of the chassis,....perimeter weighting will require less total weight, to achieve the same effect  Thumbup

Cheers
Chris Walker
[+] 1 member Likes chrisguyw's post

(27th-Jul-22, 10:16 PM)chrisguyw Wrote:  
(27th-Jul-22, 08:48 AM)BARacer Wrote:  What ballast placement strategy do people follow to keep these cars upright?

As low, and as wide as possible is not a bad place to start...........initially I would not bother with ballast  along the centerline of the chassis,....perimeter weighting will require less total weight, to achieve the same effect  Thumbup

Cheers
Chris Walker

Yes and no. wide & low definitely calms any car down, I know it's your favourite ballast layout from photos of umpteen cars you've shared...I prefer the same ballast layout.  I do find only out wide makes the car a little lethargic in direction changes so that's the reason I like some right in the middle of the car also.

[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

(27th-Jul-22, 10:16 PM)chrisguyw Wrote:  

Cheers
Chris Walker

My initial query was based on the thought that with a 'tall' car, do I need to plant a counterbalance weight in first to deal with the height issue before starting any fine tuning?

Try it and find out then let us know how you get on. 
It's much quicker to try something than wait for replies (if you have access to a track of course).

[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

No track till race day on 20th August, so I can see it being a combination of lead and blutac on the day to play around with positioning.

Jeremy, 
On plastic track, 
Ballast on the chassis. A roll of putty/blutak or lead, filling the inch in front of the rear wheels, just inside the body.
I generally don't weight cars, but the alfa? Just doesn't work without slabs on the chassis, especially the earlier versions. 
AlanW
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post