Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scaleauto R chassis motor pod - what gears can be used?
Question 

Greetings,

I've recently picked up my first R chassis, a Viper, and I'm trying to get it dialed in nicely.
Despite being reasonably quick the gear mesh sounds like trash no matter what I do, so I'm looking to replace the stock AW gears. Can anyone advise what gears will fit- I saw a mention of slot.it? Or are there any mis-matched sets you can recommend?

Or am I better off swapping out to a slot.it pod?

Scaleauto cars?
Looking on retailer websites, scaleauto use two sizes of spur gear for their 3/32 axles
15.8 mm 17mm
To replace either of these with another manufacturer's gears, you will have to closely match the diameters. 

however, in a new car, it is likely that the gears have been assembled in a slapdash way at the factory.
Disassembly and careful reassembly , especially paying attention to the backlash, run-in and lubrication, will bring quieter running gears.

Have a look at thread "gearing explained" if you really want to dive deep down that rabbit hole.  Bigsmile
https://slotracer.online/community/showt...=Explained
AlanW

Scaleauto 1/32 anglewinder Procomp RS nylon crown gear 28t (Yellow).
  • For 3/32" (2,38mm) axle

• Black aluminium insert

• M2.5 screw

• Outside diameter: 15.8mm

Welcome

I have a few Scaleauto R chassis, and if the Viper has come with a red Scaleauto pod, it's a good rigid foundation for a build.

How is the mesh between the two gears? That is often the source of noise. I set mine up so that if you hold the pinion still, there is just a small amount of movement in the anglewinder gear. I do that check a number of positions of the anglewinder gear to check that it's not warped. Basically I am making sure the two gears are not being forced tightly together whilst rotating.

If there is too much play between the two gears, then that can also generate noise as their clunk against each other at the moments between acceleration and braking. 

I have never read that you cannot mix and match different manufacturers gears. In terms of replacing the AW gear, the trick is in finding alternatives of the same diameter, or very very close to, your existing gear, so that you are not introducing more meshing problems.

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

I've also had a situation where a pinion was rubbing on the chassis....that made noise and fits your description of it always being there whatever you do with the AW gear.

(24th-Jul-22, 07:12 AM)Nonfractal Wrote:  Disassembly and careful reassembly , especially paying attention to the backlash, run-in and lubrication, will bring quieter running gears.

Thanks, I've been lurking here for a while just never posted.

I'm familiar with blueprinting cars however no amount of adjustment to the mesh is reducing the noise- I've tried several variations of lash. Chassis and pod are flat, the viper has the red pod, motor has been screwed in and hot glued. The pod currently has it's factory white plastic pinion and metal spur.

I've not done any run-in treatments as in my experience it only provides minimal alleviation of noise, and won't fix inherent issues due to poor design/gear quality.

(24th-Jul-22, 07:32 AM)BARacer Wrote:  I have never read that you cannot mix and match different manufacturers gears.

Yes some combinations work extremely well, that's exactly the kind of insight I'm after. Have you used any other gears on your scaleauto red pod cars?
[+] 1 member Likes kuro's post

Slot.it, Slotting Plus and MR Slotcar are all gears I use in Scaleauto pods.

There is a golden rule fie matching teeth spacing across all gear manufactures.. 

Ideal gear teeth number = diameter of gear times two and then minus 2.

So... 9t pinion are often 5.5mm in diameter because 5.5 x 2 = 11, - 2 = 9.

And your current 28t AW gear is within the 10% margin  of flexibility of this calculation

15.8 x 2 = 31.6
31.6 - 2 = 29.6 

The further you go beyond the preferred number for pinion or AW, the noisier the gears will be due to unavoidable meshing errors.

[+] 2 members Like BARacer's post

Thank you, that's a useful rule to know and not one I've encountered before in various discussions of ratio, pitch etc

I'll try some slot.it and sloting plus gears and see how it goes..
[+] 1 member Likes kuro's post

Although I don't dispute the gearing pitch calculations, TBH I just gear whatever combination gets me the FD ratio I want !

The magic number for Scaleauto RT3 AW pods is around 22mm ... that is diameter of pinion and gear added together.
The RT3 AW has its gear side bearing mount around 1mm further inboard than the Slot.It AW pods.
I have recently used a 16mm gear and 6mm pinion which works well with a 0.5mm spacer between the gear and bearings.

SlotIt gears seem the quietest, Scaleauto nylon gears run quietly also.

You can comfortably use AW spurs in SW pods and vice versa.

Gear ratio is only part of the calculation, tyre diameter can have a huge effect on gearing, compare a Mini to a pre-war Auto Union or Merc...rollout is what we're talking about, the distance the car moves for one revolution of the motor.  Typically for the same motor with the same 'rollout' the Mini would have a big pinion/small spur whilst the Auto Union would have a small pinion/big spur.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by munter
20th-Jul-23, 10:36 PM
Last Post by Charlie
22nd-Apr-23, 08:49 AM
Last Post by BARacer
26th-Oct-22, 09:08 PM
Last Post by Farrout1
17th-Feb-22, 04:23 AM
Last Post by BARacer