Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

NSR quality issues

Just got round to opening my Top Slots & Trains NSR Fiat Abarth and was surprised to see how low the driver sat. Turns out the interior wasn't fitted in place at the front so it had dropped down, just hanging from the rear fittings.

Likewise, the windscreen isn't secured and flaps about.

Both can be fixed but is this normal for new NSR's?

(I've always bought used before so expect to do some remedial work - in fact that's part of the fun - but I wouldn't expect this on a new car.)

It can't be returned as they are now out of stock, so it couldn't be replaced.

Not 'normal' but does happen not just NSR's.  Thankfully a dead easy fix  Wrench

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers

i've seen ts of posts and had many conversations over the recent months regarding the recent dip in NSR build quality.
Not sure what has changed  at NSR in Salerno, but quality is now sometimes falling well short of the much vaunted "Ready to Race" claim.
Some of the cars could not even have been tested at all. 
Misaligned axles, missing motor screws, etc. 

Hearing reports of body parts not being fitted properly is a new low.
NSR really have to urgently  review their construction processes before it ruins their reputation.

AlanW

I haven't bought an NSR car for some time but I often buy their tyres and the quality control on those has always been truly appalling.

I sometimes wonder if we are not our own worst enemy in this respect, we are so used to correcting defects ourselves we allow the manufacturers to get away with it. If everybody returned faulty product then they would soon put their house in order. More worrying is the effect it has on first time purchasers without our experience. How many sets end up in the loft because of faulty cars and a potential recruit abandons the hobby?
[+] 1 member Likes CMOTD's post

Quote:Some of the cars could not even have been tested at all. 
Misaligned axles, missing motor screws, etc. 
Uh-oh. Better test it quick!

(14th-Jun-22, 07:46 AM)Nonfractal Wrote:  Not sure what has changed  at NSR in Salerno, but quality is now sometimes falling well short of the much vaunted "Ready to Race" claim.

I don't believe any car is ready to 'race' as everyone has different preferences, glued/trued tyres is the #1 for any 'racer'.

Mm? Should the white guide flag have a spring? It has a long pillar in a short shaft with no fixing, so just drops up and down with gravity.

Other than that, the running gear side of it all seems ok  Thumbup

(14th-Jun-22, 10:34 AM)Top Down Wrote:  Mm? Should the white guide flag have a spring? It has a long pillar in a short shaft with no fixing, so just drops up and down with gravity.

Other than that, the running gear side of it all seems ok  Thumbup

It won't drop down unless the front end lifts, I'd set the front tyres to touch the track when the guide is fully up against the chassis.

...no spring on any I've bought or seen

[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

First NSR purchase for long time, Moesler from TS&T for just £39.99 hard to ignore, Slot it have taken all my pockey money for some time. I know it will eventually run well. BUT
As a seafarer I can only assume that the front tyres were trimmed by a blind  man weilding an axe on a trawler mid 
Atlantic in a Storm force 10. (See photo)
Some Slot It zero grips will easilly sort it, but  maybe time to drop the "Ready to race" motto?    

Plus ça change, way back in 2004 I ran a series of articles in the NSCC mag about Norman Griffiths who oversaw Scalextric production from 1964-1971. If you think modern quality control is a bit lacking take a look at this extract:

One of the reasons for his sudden appointment became crystal-clear as soon as he entered the Scalextric factory. The Formula Juniors (the C66 Cooper and C67 Lotus) were high-volume lines and the cornerstone of Scalextric's early-60s success. Much to Norman's astonishment, he discovered a mountain of returned Formula Junior sets, piled high in the repair department, and it was his job to sort it out.

"There were 30,000 returns on the Formula Juniors alone!", he says, as we chat at his home in Broadstairs, Kent. "Can you imagine - 30,000 returns! It was dreadful! In fact, I reckon for nearly every Formula Junior set they sent out, one came back! I arrived in February and the rejects from Christmas were still being stacked high in the repair department. There was no organisation whatsoever - it was diabolical. They had a big moulding shop, all the things were there that you needed, but there was poor organisation."
[+] 3 members Like CMOTD's post