Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

24 Heures du Mans 2022 Coverage

The race isn't until next week, but the coverage has already started - scrutineering is being live streamed today and tomorrow on the official YouTube Channel, with the test day on Sunday. Live coverage then slips behind a paywall - either via the FIA WEC website/app, Eurosport in Europe or MotorTrend in the US. There's usually on-board coverage made available by the likes of Toyota, Michelin etc, plus highlights and free-to-air coverage (tbc) of the start and finish for casual viewers. If Le Mans is as important to you as is it to me, then spending £8.99 for the WEC coverage or £6.99 for the Eurosport Player pass (valid for a month - so includes the Monza WEC race too) is nothing. You might even find a free 7-day trial for Eurosport or MotorTrend - especially if you already have Amazon Prime TV.

My choice this year is Eurosport. They  start their coverage on Wednesday afternoon, with Free Practice 1 - and then pretty much every minute of every '24 Heures du Mans' session is broadcast live and then wrapped up in regular highlights programmes.

The official Le Mans site is the perfect place to get up to speed with the 2022 regulations, classes and entry list. In particular, the four classes - Hypercar, LMP2, LMGTE Pro and LMGTE Am are explained here: https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/lemans/categories and the full entry list can be downloaded as a pdf.

The new Peugeot Hypercar won't make its WEC debut until Monza in July, so the five Hypercar entries are the same as 2021 - two Toyotas, two Glickenhaus 007s and an Alpine. Twenty-seven LMP2 cars are entered, seven LMGTE Pro cars and twenty-three LMGTE Ams. That's a big grid for the 90th running of the legendary race.

So who's going to win? Toyota are celebrating a decade of hybrid power in their Le Mans prototypes this year - and are coming off the back of four straight wins at La Sarthe. Alpine beat them at Sebring in March, but Toyota were victorious at Spa last month. There will be BoP tweaks for the Hypercar class, but a win for anyone but Toyota is most likely going to come down to reliability - and that could mean LMP2s in the fight for at least podium place. The battles in the huge LMP2 and LMGTE Am fields will be thrilling as always - and the BoP regulations usually ensure the GTE Pro Porsches, Ferraris and Corvettes will keep us on the edge of our seats for the full 24 hours.

It's completely pointless to predict anything - but good fun nonetheless. I'll get in very early, giving the kiss of death to cars I'll be cheering on...

• Hypercar: #36 Alpine of Lapierre, Negrão & Vaxivière
  • LMP2: #10 Vector Sport Oreca of Sébastien Bourdais, Ryan Cullen & Nico Müller
  • LMGTE Pro: #63 Corvette of Catsburg, García & Taylor
  • LMGTE Am: #85 Iron Dames Ferrari of Rahel Frey, Michelle Gatting & Sarah Bovy
I look forward to the abject disappointment of my favourites retiring from the race - if they make it that far.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

Cheers Andy,
I'm not an avid fan and would have missed this so thanks for the nudge. I will keep the coverage in mind and watch when I can.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 1 member Likes Scuderia_Turini's post

YouTube is a wonderful resource to have set up alongside the official TV coverage and live timing.

For starters, it's definitely worth keeping an eye on the Michelin Motorsport YouTube Channel for the build-up, the race and behind-the-scenes stories - at least if previous years are anything to go on.

Many of the teams will have regular updates - including short videos - on their social media platforms, mostly Facebook and Instagram. The bigger teams will be active on YouTube, which is more accessible for non-Facebook/Instagram users. Here's some weekend footage from Toyota...

And Glickenhaus...

Alpine is part of the Renault Group - don't expect many YouTube updates, but there are some cool pre-race videos...

Plus there's absolutely loads of amateur YouTube footage, which I contributed to back in 2009...

To find the latest YouTube content, use a suitable hashtag - #lemans2022 or #lemans24 - and filter videos from the past week, day or hour.

Spotters Guide...

If you're watching the race, you'll want to keep these images handy. 

Even better, use practice and qualifying to memorise them.

All weekend chores done, snacks baked, various devices fully-charged, spotters guide printed out and I think I'm ready for the live build-up to the race - starting at 3pm UK time.

I notice that Quest TV have three hours (2-5pm) of live coverage this afternoon for those with Freeview or a 7-day free trial via Discovery+ Entertainment package. However, nothing scheduled after that.

Discovery+ also has the Eurosport coverage of the entire race on their Entertainment & Sport package - unfortunately no free trial and the same £6.99 per month as Eurosport.

There are, of course, a few 'free live stream' feeds cropping up on YouTube. No guarantee of quality or reliability.

Glickenhaus are streaming onboard footage from their #708 car and Toyota have separate streams for the #7 and #8 - all on YouTube.

EuroSport is included with my basic Sky Q package. Whole 24 hours showing live. Mind you it is going to be tricky fitting everything in this weekend - BTCC all day on Sunday, Grand Prix Highlights and live NASCAR from Sonoma Sunday evening.
[+] 1 member Likes CMOTD's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by woodcote
1st-Apr-23, 11:08 AM
Last Post by woodcote
19th-Jan-23, 11:42 AM
Last Post by Kevan
14th-Nov-22, 09:11 AM
Last Post by Bazzer
13th-Jun-22, 07:18 AM