Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Visiting London - hobby shop recommendations?

Hello SlotRacers - US citizen going on vacation with some shopping time in London.

I would be interested in any hobby shop recommendations for the central London area.  

We will have access to the tourist hop-on hop-off bus system, any shops with range of that transport would be appreciated.

Iʻd like to find some Carrera D124 models that are not available in the US market (like the 917 below) - also like Scalextric 1/32 cars.

Thank you! Alan

PS - not a collector - buying to run on my home track, linked here:

My post in Show Us Your Track

Past Present Toys 
864 Green Lanes, Winchmore Hill, London, N21 2RS
Telephone: 0208 364 1370

Monday
Closed
Tuesday
9.30 – 4.30
Wednesday
Closed
Thursday
9.30 – 4.30
Friday
9.30 – 4.30
Saturday
9.30 – 4.30
Sunday
Closed
[+] 1 member Likes AlexisGaitanis's post

Unfortunately the London tourist bus you have access to will not take you anywhere near slot car shops. Like any big city tour it just goes round the major tourist attractions in central London such as Big Ben etc. LINK You will only find flagship stores there such as Harrods who can afford the colossal rents.  There  is one major toy store in Regent Street - Hamleys - but I don't think they stock any slot cars these days. Proper hobby shops are found much further out. You would have to navigate the normal bus and/or underground network to get to Past Present toys.
[+] 1 member Likes CMOTD's post

CMOTD - Unfortunately the London tourist bus you have access to will not take you anywhere near slot car shops. Like any big city tour it just goes round the major tourist attractions in central London such as Big Ben etc. LINK You will only find flagship stores there such as Harrods who can afford the colossal rents.  There  is one major toy store in Regent Street - Hamleys - but I don't think they stock any slot cars these days. Proper hobby shops are found much further out. You would have to navigate the normal bus and/or underground network to get to Past Present toys.

Thanks - not unexpected - same for hobby shops where I live.  Past Present doesnʻt have a web site that Iʻve found.  Iʻd like to take a peak at what a shop might stock and perhaps order for pickup once Iʻm on the ground.  

Searched Hamleys web site and no slot cars found.  I was in London in the 80ʻs and recall Harrods had a small selection of Hornby trains, took home a Lord of the Isles passenger set - still have it!   No Hornby or slot cars on their web site either.

Hamleys is a great place to visit - a proper London destination.

They still had a large selection of Scalextric on the top floor at the end of 2019. I haven’t been since, but reckon it should still be there - the shop and the website have very different products. Scalextric list the store as an official retailer.

Hamleys is at:

188-196 Regent Street, London W1B 5BT

If you’re hoping for European Carrera, the UK isn’t fertile hunting ground - what there is will be almost entirely online and mostly Evolution analogue 1:32.
[+] 2 members Like woodcote's post

(14th-Apr-22, 02:39 PM)woodcote Wrote:  If you’re hoping for European Carrera, the UK isn’t fertile hunting ground - what there is will be almost entirely online and mostly Evolution analogue 1:32.

Thank you for reply!  

Hamleys is now on our short list of places to visit in London.

Will be visiting ports in Portugal, Spain, France, and Italy as well.   We did make arrangements to tour the Ferrari factory and museums. 

Someone on a US site mentioned a slotting shop near the Ferrari repair center in Monaco - but couldnʻt recall the name. 

Alan

Sorry  nothing in "Central London" (westminster) since the demise of Beatties a while back. 
" Past and present " are recommended but do double check on the opening times.
I was in hamleys about a year ago and the scalextric track was gone! Hamleys is still  worth a visit , despite that.
Alan.
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

Not sure if this would work for you but perhaps order on line from UK vendors to be delivered c/o your hotel/s?

Also: https://london.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/pa...08542.html (Past Present. No view of stock but a link to contact them.)
[+] 1 member Likes Top Down's post

I was in Monte Carlo back in 2008 and 9 - I know, forever ago!!! But there was an amazing slot car and model shop across the street from the main marina. I can't imagine its still there, but you never know! They Love their racing cars!!! Ask a local and I'm sure they'll know of a spot.
I also lived in Barcelona for about 9 months - several great slot shops there, again... ask a local and they'll set you straight!
[+] 1 member Likes DPJ's post

You might be able to find out on Google maps if the shop is still there, main tourist destinations like Monaco are updated quite regularly.

Joel
[+] 1 member Likes merkit the grof's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post