Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

F1 Cars: Repairing, Removing Wheels & Other Parts

F1 Cars: Repairing, Removing Wheels & Other Parts (thought I would make it easier and place this in its Genre from the start).

My question: How do you remove the front axle on the F1 cars so that I can true the front tyres?

I ask as after running many laps on the Scalextric C3955 F1 C3955 - F1 Williams FW40 - Felipe Massa #19 car (image below) I see the front tyres are running on the outside edges with the centre untouched, like a U.

Obviously the tyres need truing but I can't see how to remove the axle, it appears to be plastic welded in.

Thanks
Johnno

Assuming the front wheels on this one are the same fixing as the rest of the range - the answer is - with great difficulty!

You can't remove the whole axle without removing at least one wheel or cutting it out of the chassis. Scalextric use knurled axles and the wheels are a simple push fit. This is usually, but not always OK when first manufactured but pulling them off just takes chunks out of the inside of the wheels and it is very hard to refit them straight and true afterwards. If you really want to do it then just pull very hard and they will come off, best of luck putting them back on though.

Apart from which, I never true front tyres as zero grip at the front is normally the best way to go. I simply coat them with nail varnish.

As all my cars run on all fours I always true the fronts and coat them in friction reducing substances...then re-true them. The car always runs much smoother.

(17th-May-19, 12:49 PM)CMOTD Wrote:  Assuming the front wheels on this one are the same fixing as the rest of the range - the answer is - with great difficulty!

You can't remove the whole axle without removing at least one wheel or cutting it out of the chassis. Scalextric use knurled axles and the wheels are a simple push fit. This is usually, but not always OK when first manufactured but pulling them off just takes chunks out of the inside of the wheels and it is very hard to refit them straight and true afterwards. If you really want to do it then just pull very hard and they will come off, best of luck putting them back on though.

Apart from which, I never true front tyres as zero grip at the front is normally the best way to go. I simply coat them with nail varnish.
I do now remember reading this over a year ago somewhere. Thanks for the reminder, still got loads to learn and remember. Sort of doesn't help though with repairs, even with an in-balanced axle from manufacturer, makes repairing it very hard.

Will attempt to find some spare axle and rims and have a play to see how I go.

(17th-May-19, 01:37 PM)Kevan Wrote:  As all my cars run on all fours I always true the fronts and coat them in friction reducing substances...then re-true them. The car always runs much smoother.
Is what I was thinking of myself, we go to the trouble of correcting the rears when we don't bother with the fronts, especially the in-balance of the tyre or rim.

Thanks for the info. / help guys. Appreciate it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by rallyhub
22nd-Jul-21, 02:19 PM
Last Post by Mr Modifier
2nd-May-20, 12:26 PM