Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie after advice please

Hi al I'm Dave Dawes (Dawdawes) have been a railway modeller for many years and am  just in the process of building a race circuit/track 24" above my model railway. It has a 16mtr length.
I have basic Scalextric control and  and the horrible click counter. Is the Scalextric control with the app and wireless control any good or am I better going with wired better throttles and aftermarket lap timing  Checkeredflag

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 2 members Like Dawdawes's post

Welcome Dawdawes  Wavegreen

To answer your question… it depends!

If you want a basic circuit to have a blast with, Scalextric ARC Air (analogue) and ARC Pro (analogue & digital) are great out-of-the-box units - as you say, with wireless controllers and lots of features via an app. You’ll be up and running in no time.

However, with your model railroading background, you might be looking at building a magnificent scenic raceway? And you might have lots of experience with building custom electrics - and really enjoy that side of the hobby?

Not that you can’t include an ARC system in a scenic layout (it is possible to remove the big black box from the track piece), but there are more customisable alternatives. One would be using Race Coordinator software on a PC and Arduino board - then building the lap counting hardware yourself. There’s a pdf document in the software package which explains the build for different hardware - apart from a dead strip, which I’ve tried to explain here: https://slotracer.online/community/showt...p?tid=2061

It really depends where you want to go with the slot car track (running cars, racing with mates, organising events) and how much (or little) you want to use and develop your model railroading skills…

I’m certainly very interested in following your progress  Thumbup
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

Andy
Yes it's going to have scenics, but as it's only for fun a home I think I will go with the Scalextric air for analogue and wireless control
If your on Facebook have a look for Dawdawes model railways and slot cars
Thanks for the advice 
Dave
[+] 2 members Like Dawdawes's post

Welcome Dave,
I'm pretty new here myself and I have to say it is a very welcoming forum.
There is a lot of friendly and helpful advice and some serious quality too.

Cheers
Tony

Welcome Dave,

Nice start you have there. Sorry I can't say much about digital as all my cars are still "Flintstone peddle-power" analog.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Anthony B
28th-Oct-22, 09:28 AM
Last Post by Johnno
30th-Sep-22, 01:51 AM