Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Le Mans Tribute Track 1/32 Scalextric

Hello Jacky, great to see more of your layout and the Ecurie Ecosse Jaguar. 
I was inspired by your Dutray clock to convert one of my clocks but then found a replica on Etsy so bought that. Am going to add a 1:32 version (non-functioning) to my Le Mans pit building. 
For info the Ecurie Ecosse paint colour is known as "Flag Metallic Blue"

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 1 member Likes Scuderia_Turini's post

(12th-Dec-21, 09:47 PM)Scuderia_Turini Wrote:  Hello Jacky, great to see more of your layout and the Ecurie Ecosse Jaguar. 
I was inspired by your Dutray clock to convert one of my clocks but then found a replica on Etsy so bought that. Am going to add a 1:32 version (non-functioning) to my Le Mans pit building. 
For info the Ecurie Ecosse paint colour is known as "Flag Metallic Blue"

Leo

Thank you, Leo, for the information on the name of the Ecurie Ecosse colour.  It's nice to know the real names for important racing details.

My little Le Mans Dutray clock started out life as a $3.00 Walmart clock.  I printed the face from an enlargement of the one I used for the circuit.  I really cheaped out, as I could have gotten a larger clock but would have had to get it printed at the office supply store.

[+] 1 member Likes jackyickx53's post

Hello Jackie,
Yes, I was going to re-face an existing clock but when I saw the ones on Etsy I decided to take the easy option. However, I was bit disapointed when it arrived as it has no plastic/glass cover :- (  
Has the same face as yours with the proper characters. 

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

...and this is the Dutray Le Mans clock on its gantry, with situation lights, suspended from the pits.

Dutray is a watchmaker/jeweler in the village of Le Mans, which donated the official clock.  I believe it was added in 1931.

The clock remained until 1974 when it was replaced by a Tissot for a short while.  Nothing will ever replace the Dutray clock in the hearts of fans.  Most especially the garish R*lex which adorns the modern pits complex.  And the less said about the modern pits and clock the better.
[+] 3 members Like jackyickx53's post

I didn't realise that the Dutray company was local to Le Mans. Yes, the Circuit de la Sarthe has lost a lot of its charm but is well revered by both Dutray generations and R*lex generations.

The Ecurie Ecosse connection still fascinates me since my father took us to Charterhall Circuit to see the team cars. At the time I was 5 years old so the significance didn't really mean much to me until a few years later when I was given a Corgi Toys model of the famous Commer transporter that was presented to the team after the second Le Mans win.

Leo

(15th-Dec-21, 12:39 AM)Scuderia_Turini Wrote:  I didn't realise that the Dutray company was local to Le Mans. Yes, the Circuit de la Sarthe has lost a lot of its charm but is well revered by both Dutray generations and R*lex generations.

The Ecurie Ecosse connection still fascinates me since my father took us to Charterhall Circuit to see the team cars. At the time I was 5 years old so the significance didn't really mean much to me until a few years later when I was given a Corgi Toys model of the famous Commer transporter that was presented to the team after the second Le Mans win.

Leo

That is so amazing about the Corgi transporter!  For reference, I'm inserting a photo of the transporter with a D Type atop.  I would dearly love to add this or the Fiat Ferrari transporter, below.  Even in resin, it costs a packet.  I think CMC makes one in 1/18 but it was even more dear.  They have Maserati and Ferrari versions, I believe.

[+] 1 member Likes jackyickx53's post

A word about my pits.  I was going to have a minimalist circuit at first (that lasted about a week), and only made a pit box the general shape of the Le Mans pits.

Then I saw people having good results with using printed textures over the foamboard.

So I started adding textures to my pit.  One thing led to another and I ended up with the building pictured above.

Many liberties were taken, but paramount to me was the inclusion of the center section, which is repeated often along the run of the real complex.  Housing, I am led to believe, press, officials, and dignitaries.  I just love the look of this, and see it in so many pit photos.

Then to give the illusion of length, I doubled up and had two cars per pit box.  Normally, of course, there is but one.  But I didn't have room or printer ink enough to do a complex 60 boxes long. 

The photos above feature the Phil Hill Aston Martin of 1963, then the next three are all from 1967.  In the last photo, Teddy Mayer, later the McLaren F1 team boss, sixth from the right, is about to root for Bruce in the #2 Ford.
[+] 5 members Like jackyickx53's post

The Maserati version

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 2 members Like Farrout1's post

Don't we always want just that little bit more than we have room for?

This was rejected as too much straight.  I mean it's not by any stretch the "purple 220" from the old slot racing shops, but for my little basement, too much speed.  And not enough room for the pits I envisioned.

From bare boards (hollow core doors, actually) to the beginnings of scenery entailed discovering that the Perma-Scene people are out of business.  So I made my own "Perma-Scene" with hints from around the forums.  I combined paper mache, vermiculite, white glue, water, and brown acrylic paint.  It tends to mold unless you add an inhibitor, but a little spray from a mildew/mold cleaner like Tilex and it's fine.

After laying down the ground in sections, I added grass, dirt, gravel, and anything that model rail fans use.

It wasn't brain science or even rocket surgery, I just added stuff until I liked it.

[+] 3 members Like jackyickx53's post

(17th-Dec-21, 01:38 AM)Farrout1 Wrote:  The Maserati version

What a beautiful track!!!!!

I love the unloading scene, with Fangio's 250F prominent.

And the plethora of pre-wing Grand Prix machinery is what the sport is all about.  As I collect, I want to add back to the 50's and thank goodness for Cartix and for the Pre-Wing site with its resin bodies.  I'd love to add a Ferrari 158 in NART colours, and a Richie Ginther 1.5 Honda.  And my holy grail would be an accurate 1965 BRM, not the H16 one I've seen by the Spanish company.  Lots of time to work on getting my building skills back (if I can) and try to do my own version.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by niklasw
10th-Mar-24, 10:03 PM
Last Post by Kevan
14th-Jan-24, 09:48 PM
Last Post by DPJ
11th-Jan-24, 05:53 AM
Last Post by gref
23rd-Nov-23, 04:26 AM