Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Avant Slot LMP Tuning...

Does anyone have any experience or tips on tuning an Avant Slot LMP? Specifically, the pod rotates on a single peg at the front, and just seems to be held in place at the back by the axle running through some slots. 

Looking forward to the challenge!

I love puttering with gears

Interesting, mine has 2 thin pieces of metal running along the veins on the outside of the pod that then sit under the rear axle and act as leaf springs. 99% sure mine also had independent stub axles at the front. Must have been different chassis at different times. 

Mine ran ok on a woodtrack for an inline, chassis very stiff, deep guide out the box (relative to nsr/slot.it, not a "wood" guide). I swapped all the mechanicals for slot it stuff (wheels weren't true, plastic bushings, gear mesh was awful etc) and it was fairly competitive. I think the chassis was also compatible with the Porsche rs Spyder and the Peugeot 908 so if you get it running well you have 3 cars in one!
[+] 1 member Likes tatter06's post

Hi Jeremy

I’m not massively experienced with standard Avants but from what I have experienced, the degree of freedom the peg and slots give the pod vary wildly between cars. Just a tolerance thing.

I’d suggest you want to minimise movement as much as possible because it’s no use flopping about, all that achieves is tyre rub on the body and body rub on the track.

Same goes for the body which for some reason, counter to every other car, runs better tight than loose.

They do run quite well despite the interesting design choices, providing you can minimise the extent of which the car resembles a jelly. If you have a “tight” car then you may not need to do much work, just keep an eye it doesn’t become looser over time as the first Audi R10 I purchased has done.

Ashley is quite right to say that a couple of their models share chassis. Front stubs were also fitted / provided with some cars / kits.

Hope that’s helpful.
[+] 1 member Likes LMP's post

Yes it's interesting that the pod/rear axle rocks completely independently of the chassis/front axle.

Body float is fantastic, as you say, just need to control/exploit that. 

I wanted to give the existing hardware a chance rather than look out a more traditional 3DP chassis. But with plastic push on hubs all round there will be limits to what might be achievable.

Not that I gave the existing plastic hubs any chance to shine...on with some Slot.it BBSs. 

All avant cars have 16.5 dia wheels if you wanted to match, although they use fairly low profile tyres so a 15 with a bigger tyre might work too.

A shame they’re so “under wheeled” but that’s they way they’re made, any bigger fouls the body and there no room to cut a larger aperture either.
[+] 1 member Likes LMP's post

And am I correct in thinking that this Avant chassis advertised on a Lancashire shop's website takes a slot.it pod?

I ask because it is a different chassis to the one on the car but is said to be suitable for the R10.

(21st-Nov-21, 10:39 PM)BARacer Wrote:  And am I correct in thinking that this Avant chassis advertised on a Lancashire shop's website takes a slot.it pod?

I ask because it is a different chassis to the one on the car but is said to be suitable for the R10.

If memory serves correctly then no, the holes don't line up, it is for the Avant slot Aw pod (which you can't fit under the lmp cars bodies). The whole Avant slot chassis/pod selection is very confusing. 

P.s the attached is just an example, I own all the pieces shown in that picture and it is absolutely not possible to use the flat 6 in AW with that pod with out cutting or jacking up the body. They seemed to have released chassis and pods with no idea how/if they can be used together.

Best bet is a 3d chassis. At SMSRC a 3d chassis, AW slot.it pod is now flavour of the month, surpassing the mosler. Even with the slot.it pod you have to jack up the rear of the body to get a full fat motor in there, a flat 6 will just fit.

(White and green lane)

https://www.southmanchesterslotracingclu...m-jvfnq90q

Many thanks. Really useful information. Mosler beater!

I need to look at their parts on a proper screen rather than a phone to better understand what's available for the car. The (genuine) joy of discovering a new manufacturer's product range!

(22nd-Nov-21, 07:42 AM)BARacer Wrote:  Many thanks. Really useful information. Mosler beater!

I need to look at their parts on a proper screen rather than a phone to better understand what's available for the car. The (genuine) joy of discovering a new manufacturer's product range!

No problem, not sure a out mosler beater, horses for courses I guess but they are light and low, if you can still find any there are lexan interiors too.

Funnily enough I am looking at building one myself (can't beat em, join em!). I have a few 3d chassis so will take some photos and any observations of them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Savage GT
9th-Sep-21, 07:37 AM
Last Post by BARacer
1st-Feb-20, 10:41 AM