Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Toy Brands vs Professional Slot Racing Cars

Time for another video to share with you. This time it’s a look at how a toy brand differs from a professional manufacturer, with a comparison between a Scalextric and Slotit Lola LMP, as well as a sprinkling of other information and manufacturers.

[+] 8 members Like LMP's post

Hi Gary,
I have embedded the video for you. Better than just a link. Instructions for this can be found HERE.
[+] 3 members Like CMOTD's post

A very interesting video with good explanations.

Thanks for posting.

Erudite, concise and good!! Thanks Gary,

Good video. Because Scalextric, Carrera, SCX etc are marketed as toys they have to comply with many safety standards that do not apply to brands targeting the adult hobby market. It is my understanding that a car with interchangeable easily removed wheels and gears wouldn't pass the child safety tests because it could be easily broken down into parts that could be swallowed by a child and, as mentioned in the video toy manufacturers have to design a body and chassis that will survive rough handling and crashes due to poor driving.
 It does emphasise the gulf between toy slot cars and cars intended for club racing and why it is impossible to produce cars which are suitable for both markets.
[+] 4 members Like autoavia's post

Just out of interest, the recent DiSCA 3hr race at Derby was won by a standard Scalextric car over Scalextric cars with modified chassis and grub screwed wheels. Both classes shared the same standard 18k motor and rear tyres. So whilst they might be classed as toys, they are quite well optimized racing toys. However, if you popped a more powerful motor into a standard toy car, you would probably find its limits quite quickly.

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

Exactly, Jeremy.

The "you can't do this, you can't do that" brigade seem to like to pretend that they're not all toys. Proof, as you show, doesn't seem to dissuade them.

I think it's to justify paying 80% more to go 20% faster!

And "Professional"?

Really?

(20th-Nov-21, 01:39 PM)Mr.M Wrote:  Exactly, Jeremy.

The "you can't do this, you can't do that" brigade seem to like to pretend that they're not all toys. Proof, as you show, doesn't seem to dissuade them.

I think it's to justify paying 80% more to go 20% faster!

Diminishing returns count in every sphere of life. For anyone with a competitive turn of mind, that extra expense is worth every penny. 20% is a whole lot of of performance. F1 teams pay out millions to be a few tenths of a second faster than the next team.

Maybe the standard Scalex car had better drivers Thumbup
[+] 3 members Like Gordon Steadman's post

(20th-Nov-21, 01:39 PM)Mr.M Wrote:  I think it's to justify paying 80% more to go 20% faster!

20% is a lap every 5 laps.

He also said the same standard motor and tyres and tyres are 90% of the cars performance.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers

If being the fastest racing was the only aim, surely we would all be racing wing cars.

Even they aren't raced "professionally".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by BARacer
31st-Jan-20, 11:16 PM